RIVERSIDE — Wasteland

2. Acid Rain (6:03)
3. Vale of Tears (4:48)
4. Guardian Angel (4:24)
5. Lament (6:09)
6. The Struggle for Survival (9:32)
7. River Down Below (5:41)
8. Wasteland (8:25)
9. The Night Before (3:59)

- Mariusz Duda / Vocals, Bass, Guitars

Thanks to DippoMagoo for the addition and adg211288 for the updates

Buy RIVERSIDE - WASTELAND music

WastelandWasteland
Century Media 2018
Wasteland (Hi-Res Stereo and Surround Mix) (Special Edition 2CD+DVDDigipak in Slipcase)Wasteland (Hi-Res Stereo and Surround Mix) (Special Edition 2CD+DVDDigipak in Slipcase)
Inside Out Germany 2019
WastelandWasteland
Century Media 2018
Riverside: Wasteland (Splatter) [2xWinyl]Riverside: Wasteland (Splatter) [2xWinyl]
Mystic Production
Riverside: Wasteland (Marble) [2xWinyl]Riverside: Wasteland (Marble) [2xWinyl]
Mystic Production
Showing 5 items | Cache expiring in 22h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & RIVERSIDE music

RIVERSIDE WASTELAND reviews

The Crow
After the sad passing of the guitarist Piotr Grudzinski, I'm sure that Wasteland was not an easy album to make.

For this reason, I consider this record a transition one while they let another guitarist to take part (hopefully) on their next record and bring some new ideas and sound. Because one of the first facts that we can clearly hear in Wasteland is that a true guitarist is missing. It's obvious that Mariusz Duda is not a professional guitar player, and because of that in almost all the songs the complex guitar work of previous albums is sadly gone, and the pedals used are also not the most adequate, making the guitar riffs sounds hollow and cheap.

And curiously the same can be said for the drums, which sounds too high pitched, lacking the deep and strength that the heavier parts of the album so desperately need! Why? I just don't know, because the Piotr Kozieradzki's drumming is awesome in other records from the band.

But apart from the production, the musical quality of the album is also a bit irregular. Some outstanding songs like Acid Rain, Veil of Tears and River Down Below are mixed with other average tracks like the not so exciting Guardian Angel, the repetitive The Struggle for Survival and the risky but not really successful Wasteland (I love the western influences though!)

This irregular songwriting makes the hearing of the album on its integrity a bit dull sometimes, and that's the first time that I feel something similar with a Riverside record. Is not a drama, but talking about one of the best prog-rock acts of the last decades, is some kind of a letdown.

Best Tracks: Acid Rain, Veil of Tears, Lament, River Down Below.

Conclusion: I must admit that the band has managed to overcome the death of their guitarist with a good album, which shows both the heaviest and mellowest sides of the band while maintaining the spirit of innovation that this musicians always had, diplaying some very good new ideas like the gothic and obscure Lament and the cinematic but flawed title track.

But in comparison to works like Second Life Syndrome and Anno Domini High Definition, Wasteland just pales.

My rating: ***

This review was originally written for ProgArchives.com

No RIVERSIDE WASTELAND reviews posted by members yet.

• Fant0mas