RAINBOW — Straight Between the Eyes

RAINBOW - Straight Between the Eyes cover

Album · 1982

Filed under Hard Rock
By RAINBOW

1. Death Alley Driver (4:45)
2. Stone Cold (5:19)
3. Bring on the Night (Dream Chaser) (4:08)
4. Tite Squeeze (3:16)
5. Tearin' Out My Heart (4:06)
6. Power (4:27)
7. Miss Mistreated (4:30)
8. Rock Fever (3:52)
9. Eyes of Fire (6:36)

- Joe Lynn Turner / vocals
- Ritchie Blackmore / guitar
- David Rosenthal / keyboard
- Roger Glover / bass
- Bobby Rondinelli / drums

Full length, Polydor/Mercury, 1982.

Thanks to Pekka, Time Signature for the updates

Buy RAINBOW - STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES music

More places to buy metal & RAINBOW music

RAINBOW STRAIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES reviews

AtomicCrimsonRush
I owned this on vinyl and did not play it that much as I was disappointed with the content after hearing the excellent "Rising" album among others. The vocals are thin and whispy with high register but nowhere near the power and passion of Ronnie James Dio. Blackmore is here in presence only, but his shredding style is rather flat and absent. 'Bring on the Night' is okay for a soft metal type song, with a good lead break and sing along anthemic chorus.

'Power' is not too bad with nice shimmering Hammond and jumpy guitar riff. It really is a commercial rock sound though.

I always liked the killer opener 'Death Alley Driver' but apart from that this one left me 'Stone Cold'.

A real waste from a legendary band. Mention has to be made too of that awful cover art which just looks ridiculous.

SouthSideoftheSky
A band seemingly difficult to cure

Whatever disease they contracted while making Difficult To Cure they certainly have not been cured of it yet here! Straight Between The Eyes continues in most respects from where the previous Difficult To Cure left off. Joe Lynn Turner is still here and this time his vocals are better, more in line with those of Ian Gillan whom he clearly tries hard to emulate. And he does this so successfully that you could almost believe that this is Ian Gillan singing on some tracks! Needless to say, the expectations for this album were very low after the disastrous Difficult To Cure. It was therefore rather easy for the band to make an album that lived up to these low expectations. They played it very safe this time and they build strongly on the formula established by the previous album. This means straightforward Hard Rock 'N' Roll with little or no interesting features.

Once again, the material is weak and not memorable. The lyrics are once again filled with old Rock 'N' Roll clichés and many cheesy lines. The song titles alone reveals the generic character of the music. Songs like Tite Squeeze and Rock Fever are good examples of this. In terms of progressive content this is basically empty. I am not going to comment on each individual track here since they are all very similar and if you have heard a couple of them you pretty much know what the rest sounds like. There is not much variation on the album.

One song that stands out above the rest is the closer Eyes Of Fire. It has a slight Far Eastern sound that I like, augmented with some slight symphonic keyboards and some nice guitar work. However, it hardly compares very well with the similarly 'oriental' sounding Gates Of Babylon from the Long Live Rock 'N' Roll album. Another song that I find acceptable is the opener Death Alley Driver which features a decent instrumental break. This song sounds very much like Gillan (Ian Gillan's solo band in the 80's).

The once so great Rainbow entered a downward spiral after the half-decent Down To Earth in the late 70's and this downward spiral continued with this album. Apart from Eyes Of Fire and a few decent bits here and there is very little to recommend Straight Between The Eyes.

• SilentScream213

Live At Once Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
Impermanence Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
El viaje astral del cuy Grindcore
SHAMAN ENFERMO