Symphonaire infernus et spera empyrium
MY DYING BRIDE

MY DYING BRIDE - Symphonaire infernus et spera empyrium cover

EP · 1992

Filed under Death-Doom Metal

1. Symphonaire infernus et spera empyrium (11:38)
2. God Is Alone (4:50)
3. De Sade Soliloquay (3:42)

- Andrew Craighan / Guitars
- Aaron Stainthorpe / Vocals
- Rick Miah / Drums
- Calvin Robertshaw / Guitars
- Adrian "Ade" Jackson / Bass

Guest/Session:
- Martin Powell / Violin

EP, Peaceville Records, March 1992

Recorded at Academy Studios in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, August / September 1991.

Thanks to TheHeavyMetalCat, UMUR for the updates

MY DYING BRIDE MP3, Free Download/Stream

Buy MY DYING BRIDE - SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM music

Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium ( 12Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium ( 12" )
Extra tracks
PEACEVILLE 2017
Vinyl$10.80
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 34h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 14 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 10h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & MY DYING BRIDE music

MY DYING BRIDE SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM reviews

siLLy puPPy
SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM is the very first release from MY DYING BRIDE released as an EP way back in 1991 as well as their first on their long lasting Peaceville Records label. While the 12 “ vinyl edition released in 1991 consisted only of the 11:38 title track, the CD edition released the following year contained the tracks “God Is Alone” and “De Sade Soliloquay” which were released as a two sided 7” vinyl single limited to 1000 copies the year before. Due to startling originality of the inclusion of the melancholic session violin contributions of Martin Powell on the title track, MY DYING BRIDE gained instant recognition as a major innovator in the nascent death-doom metal sound that only Anathema and Paradise Lost were also developing at the same time period.

It’s no doubt that MY DYING BRIDE caught the attention of the world with the track “Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium” as it remains one of their most masterful compositions of their entire career exquisitely melding the elements of doom and death metal along with neoclassical darkwave with the addition of the soul piercing violin and highly sophisticated compositional conceptualization. With its humble intro it almost sounds like we’re going to the Renaissance fair with its medieval violin setup but soon the down-tuned doomed distortion of heavy guitar riffs enter as does the death growls of Aaron Stainthorpe. The track deftly walks the tightrope of the classical and metal worlds with grace but also carefully paces the fusion effect with pure down and dirty death metal outbursts however the violin never strays too far for too long and always brings the listener into the eternal cauldrons of dread.

The remaining tracks are less symphonically complex and are rooted more in heavier death metal with elements of doom percolating through. “God Is Alone” and “De Sade Soliloquay” are perhaps the heaviest tracks that MY DYING BRIDE has ever released as they are blistering fast in tempo and eschew the violin trademark sound that pretty much defines them on every full length album that follows. These were siphoned from the cauldrons of their earliest demo material therefore sounds as primeval and raw as could be expected. SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM is an excellent debut from MY DYING BRIDE and only one of two where Stainthorpe exclusively utilizes his death growls (the other being the following full-length “As The Flowers Wither.” While the title track has gotten around on many of the compilations, the other two have not and can only be found on this EP as well as the collection of the first three EPs “Trinity.” This debut release showed great talent that has been successfully in staying relevant for decades after this first hit the market.
My Dying Bride's first release for Peaceville is this EP, rerecording some material from their early demo and independent releases. God Is Alone and De Sade Soliloquay are probably the most traditional death metal songs that My Dying Bride ever put out through Peaceville, and are competent but not enormously interesting. The real treat here is Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Empyrium, an early expression of the band's death-doom style, with its extended running time and mournful violin contributions making it clear that this right here was no simple rehash of early Paradise Lost but an intriguing new take on death-doom in its own right. On balance, I'd say that this EP constitutes a four star title track backed up by some three star B-sides.

FMOTP
This EP gets a 3 1/2-star rating from me. MY DYING BRIDE is one of my favorite bands. Their music is a very interesting combination of death metal trappings with violins, keyboards, and sophisticated song structures. That being said, the Symphonaire EP is a good example of the band's music. The lyrics, like on My Dying Bride's early output generally, are far-fetched. They're gothic and violent, but they seem like scattered images without a framework.

The title track is definitely the best of the three. I especially like the bells at the end. There is some variety here, although the song overstays its 11 minutes a bit. "God is Alone" and "De Sade Soliloquay" don't have that problem. They are pretty standard death metal tracks. I'm not a big fan of death/doom metal generally; the parameters are too limited. Symphonaire is an early EP by the band, which is evident when you listen to it. They haven't fully developed the distinctive sound that makes them so listenable. However, the title track does point to the variety of instrumentation and songwriting that makes the band's later records so interesting.

• aecht