MINISTRY — The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste

4. Cannibal Song (6:10)
5. Breathe (5:40)
6. So What (8:13)
7. Test (6:04)
8. Faith Collapsing (4:01)
9. Dream Song (4:48)

- Al Jourgensen / vocals, guitars, programming
- Paul Barker / bass, programming

Released November 14, 1989 by Sire Records.

Thanks to Unitron for the updates

Buy MINISTRY - THE MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO TASTE music

Mind Is a Terrible Thing to TasteMind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Music on Vinyl 2014
Mind Is A Terrible Thing To TasteMind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
Music on Vinyl 2019
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 60h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & MINISTRY music

MINISTRY THE MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO TASTE reviews

Unitron
Ministry-The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste

'The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste' is the fourth studio album by industrial metal band Ministry. If I had to choose one industrial metal album that everyone should have in their collection, it would either be this true masterpiece of an album or the next release. From the brutal 'Thieves' to the surreal dreamy finale 'Dream Song', this album has it all.

Starting the album off, we have the aggressive guitar shreds of 'Thieves'. Soon the drum machines and mechanical sounds kick in and give the song a great beat. Jourgensen's vocals sound even rawer and aggressive then the last album. Unlike the previous album, there are a lot of thrash elements on this release such as the thrashing guitar and pounding drums of 'Thieves'. I just love the contrast in this between the more mechanical industrial parts and thrashing passages. My favorite song on the album has to be the second track 'Burning Inside'. This song is a perfect example of how industrial thrash should be. Jourgensen's muffled vocals combined with the shredding guitar and pounding drum machines makes this perfect. Something I especially love is the fast bass grooves that appear after the thrash guitar.

This album is highly varied, having a great balance of the heavier thrash tracks and more surreal menacing songs. One of my favorites of the latter is the meandering basslines and drum machines of 'Cannibal Song'. Jourgensen's vocals change for this song, having a higher, yet haunting, tone fitting perfectly with the menacing bass. The album ends on a very haunting note with the surreal 'Dream Song'. This song uses a combination of chamber music influences, haunting female vocals, menacing mechanical drums, and disturbing spoken word.

The lyrics are varied as well, covering a wide range of topics. The song 'Breathe' with the chanting of 'Breathe you fucker' is about the dangers of pollution and nuclear war. 'Burning Inside' is about drug addiction, and 'Thieves' and 'So What' are about political corruption and violence.

Overall, this is my favorite Ministry album along with the following release. It's one of my favorite industrial metal albums, maybe even my favorite. It has so much variety, both musically and lyrically, so I really never tire of it. Essential for any industrial metal collection.

Hope you found this review helpful.

Feel free to comment!
Ministry's followup to The Land of Rape and Honey features significantly less in terms of singing, includes rapping on Trust, and makes even more use of samples and loops than its predecessor. The end result is a fascinating crossover work bridging the worlds of metal, dance music, and industrial experimentalism, and which draws on a few lessons here and there from hip-hop too. Metal purists may balk at it, but for my money this is an excellent experiment which shows the breadth and depth of Al Jourgensen's musical influences and his mastery of a range of styles. Not quite as groundbreaking as its predecessor, to my mind, but still a great companion piece to it.

No MINISTRY THE MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO TASTE reviews posted by members yet.

• Necrotica