MANITOU — Entrance

MANITOU - Entrance cover

Album · 1995

Filed under Progressive Metal
By MANITOU

1. Servants Of Greed (5:48)
2. Ache Falls Dead Calm (6:53)
3. Coven (Autumn Arrives) (6:28)
4. Ship Of Dreams (7:12)
5. The Forlorn (6:02)
6. Entrance (6:19)
7. Shadowhunt (5:45)
8. Into Plumbless Oceans (6:06)
9. Prophecy Of The Sleeper (7:28)
10. The Prediction (5:50)
11. When Silence Decends (7:58)

- Øyvind Hægeland / vocals

Thanks to UMUR, Lynx33 for the updates

Buy MANITOU - ENTRANCE music

EntranceEntrance
independent
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 67h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
0 results found for "manitou" entrance
Retry your search with "manitou" on eBay.com website

More places to buy metal & MANITOU music

MANITOU ENTRANCE reviews

"Entrance" is the debut full-length studio album by Norwegian progressive metal act Manitou. The album was released through Mind The Gap Records in 1995. Manitou was formed under the Powerslaves monicker in 1985 and initially played Iron Maiden covers, but later changed their name to Manitou and started writing original material. Although they originally existed for over a decade, Manitou´s recording output can be counted on one hand and "Entrance" was their only official studio recording on a label before they disbanded. Lead vocalist Øyvind Hægeland would later participate on releases by artists like Spiral Architect, Lunaris, Scariot, and play live with Arcturus.

While Manitou´s traditional heavy metal past isn´t completely gone from the music on "Entrance", they take a more progressive turn on this album. The music isn´t overtly technical (although there are plenty of tempo- and time signature changes featured on the album), and we´re predominantly treated to a more subtle type of progressive playing. Not completely unlike listening to a heavy metal oriented Fates Warning (1988-1990). The musicianship is generally on a very high level, and especially Øyvind Hægeland´s strong voice and vocal performance impress. His delivery here is very convincing (great harmonies too). His voice is reminiscent of Ray Adler´s voice, which further enhances the Fates Warning comparison I made above.

The music is guitar/vocal driven progressive metal with only sparse and subtle use of keyboards, which places "Entrance" in a 1980s progressive metal tradition rather than a 1990s ditto. While the guitars and vocals take a lot of focus, the rhythm section are very strong playing too, and definitely worth a mention. The sound production is clear, detailed, and professional, but as a consequence of the instrumentation, which doesn´t feature many layers, there are times during the playing time, when the mix sounds a bit empty. It´s a minor issue though, and most of the time, the music sounds fine.

The 11 track, 71:49 minutes long album is a quality release through and through, although it´s slightly too long for it´s own good. But then again I can understand the motivation behind releasing as much material as possible, when you´ve waited 10 years to release your debut album. It´s not the most original sounding progressive metal album and considering it was released in 1995, it sounds slightly dated, but to fans of 1980s progressive metal this should be a real treat. a 3.5 star (70%) rating is deserved.

No MANITOU ENTRANCE reviews posted by members yet.

• Lynx33

Dyatlov Metalcore
JONESTOWN
Metamorphose Metalcore
JILUKA

Cirith Ungol "I'm Alive" (Live)
CIRITH UNGOL