How to Measure a Planet?
THE GATHERING — the ultimate metal music online community, from the creators of

THE GATHERING - How to Measure a Planet? cover

Album · 1998

Filed under Non-Metal

Disc 1
1. Frail (You Might as Well Be Me) (5:04)
2. Great Ocean Road (6:19)
3. Rescue Me (6:22)
4. My Electricity (3:32)
5. Liberty Bell (6:01)
6. Red Is a Slow Colour (6:25)
7. The Big Sleep (5:01)
8. Marooned (5:55)
9. Travel (9:06)

Disc 2
1. South American Ghost Ride (4:25)
2. Illuminating (5:41)
3. Locked Away (3:23)
4. Probably Built in the Fifties (7:26)
5. How to Measure a Planet? (28:32)

- Anneke van Giersbergen / Vocals, Guitar on "My Electricity" and "Locked Away"
- Frank Boeijen / Keyboards
- René Rutten / Guitar, Theremin on "Illuminating" and "Rescue Me", Digeridoo on
"Southe American Ghost Ride"
- Hans Rutten / Drums
- Hugo Prinsen Geerligs / Bass

Label: Century Media Records
Release Date: November 9, 1998

A single CD version was released in Japan, which does not include "How to Measure A Planet?".

Thanks to Stooge, adg211288 for the updates

THE GATHERING MP3, Free Download/Stream

No THE GATHERING MP3s available for streaming.

How To Measure A Planet? (2CD)How To Measure A Planet? (2CD)
Century Media 2012
How To Measure A Planet? (2CD) by The Gathering (1999-01-26)How To Measure A Planet? (2CD) by The Gathering (1999-01-26)
Century Media
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 26h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on
0 results found for "the gathering" how to measure a planet?
Retry your search with "the gathering" on website
No items found | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on

More places to buy metal & THE GATHERING music

The Gathering's How To Measure a Planet? is a bold and innovative departure for the band, who take on significant amounts of shoegaze influence (filtered through All About Eve) and amp up the electronic content and end up charting a course for the borderlands between the gothic metal of their previous albums and the uncharted expanses of post-rock and post-metal. Though it's a very mellow album, there's still a few more spritely compositions here and there - including the intense rockout of Probably Built In the Fifties. On the whole, this is precisely the departure from expectations The Gathering needed at this time.
This album marks my first entry into the realm of The Gathering. I was drawn to explore this band for one reason: vocalist Anneke van Giersbergen. On this album, she doesn’t disappoint. Her vocals and choice of melody is what adds much of the colour to the songs, which tend to be rather minimalist and bare bones. Without her voice on this album, I’m not sure how I would appreciate these songs, as I’m sure they were written to showcase her stunning talent.

Unlike some other material by The Gathering, this one is not much of a metal album in the traditional sense. It relies more on the heaviness set by creating a dark mood and atmosphere as opposed to a heaviness brought about through dense, distorted riffing.

Most songs fit into relatively the same mould of clean guitar driven and quasi-ballad in structure, although the band makes rather liberal use of electronic effects and percussion, I’d say in more of a techno/dance/pop tradition as opposed to industrial. The track “Liberty Bell” is a good example of this.

My biggest problem with the album comes in the form of its 28 minute long title track. It’s pretty much an instrumental piece, which is not a bad thing, but it’s just not that interesting and is an anticlimactic way to end the album. Overall, I’d say I prefer the first disc easily over the second.

I’ll still classify How To Measure A Planet as an ok album, but it lacks focus in places, has limited appeal to those wanting or expecting something heavier, and it would benefit greatly with some trimming down to a single disc.

No THE GATHERING HOW TO MEASURE A PLANET? reviews posted by members yet.

• leechburton