When Lightning Strikes

- Corrado Solarino / Keyboards
- Davide Dell'Orto / Vocals
- Simone Cappato / Bass

My Kingdom Music/Magic Mushrooms Productions, January 16th, 2012

Thanks to UMUR for the addition

DRAKKAR MP3, Free Download/Stream

No DRAKKAR MP3s available for streaming.

Buy DRAKKAR - WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES music

Showing all 5 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
When Lightning StrikesWhen Lightning Strikes
My Kingdom Music 2012

More places to buy metal & DRAKKAR music

DRAKKAR WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES reviews

When Lightning Strikes is the fourth album by Italian power metal act Drakkar. The 2012 album is the group’s first full-length for ten years, although there was an EP in 2007 called Classified. Despite the time gap the group’s line-up has remained mostly unchanged since the release of Razorblade God (2002), although the drums are handled by a session musician on When Lightning Strikes and some bass is credited to former member Daniele Persoglio. Also of note is a guest vocal from the group’s former vocalist Luca Cappellari.

Drakkar’s music falls into the symphonic power metal vein, but as common as this particular style has become, I think they have a bit more of a unique sound going for them. Their symphonic element is not overpowering and there and some parts of the music that strike me as being progressive. The album kicks off with the very classical symphonic intro track Hyperspace - The Arrival before not, as would be typical of any metal genre, bursting into a fast metal riff, but an acoustic ballad, Day of the Gods. In a way this track is like the second part of the intro however, because the two tracks together don’t even take up four minutes of the album’s total running time and once The Armageddon Machine kicks in its full steam ahead with a furious and epic power metal attack, but with a solo section that sounds like it belongs in a classic progressive rock band’s music.

It’s at this point that I realise that with When Lightning Strikes we’re dealing with something pretty special. I’m quite surprised I never encountered Drakkar before but I guess that’s because ten years ago when the group last had a major release I was only just discovering metal music and hadn’t yet encountered even the big guns of power metal such as Helloween and Blind Guardian. Big guns that based on When Lightning Strikes, Drakkar could easily have been a part of if they’d been a bit more productive. They certainly have a lot going for them on this release, such as the progressive parts, some subtle folk influences, such as in parts of Revenge Is Done, and perhaps most importantly for power metal, the music stands out as different and lacks the whole cheesy feel associated with much melodic power metal thanks to the excellent voice of Davide Dell'Orto, which is melodic but with a bit of a edge to it that gives the music extra bite.

When Lightning Strikes numbers among the more unique sounding power metal albums I’ve ever come across and I highly recommend it to all power metal fans searching for something new to stand out from the masses. When Lightning Strikes is exceptional to these ears and easily numbers among 2012’s best power metal releases.

9.3/10

(Originally written for Heavy Metal Haven (http://metaltube.freeforums.org))
J-Man
Italy's prosperous power metal scene may be most recognized for bands like Labyrinth, Rhapsody of Fire, and Elvenking, but there are also plenty of lesser-known acts that have been pumping out solid albums for quite a few years. Enter Drakkar, a band from Milan that released three albums in the late 1990's and early 2000's before falling into relative obscurity. When Lightning Strikes is their comeback album of sorts, and marks the group's first full-length outing in the near-ten year period since Razorblade God. Fans of Drakkar's older material will be satisfied to hear that this album is filled to the brim with solid riffs, memorable melodies, and lovably cheesy symphonic keyboards, and while their sound may take a few too many hints from their fellow Italian power metal bretheren, there's no doubt that When Lightning Strikes is an impressive effort from start to finish.

Rhapsody of Fire is probably the most notable point of reference when discussing the style of music played on When Lightning Strikes. Although Drakkar lacks the same level of orchestral bombast as their fellow countrymen, their sound still balances epic power metal, symphonic interludes, and progressive overtones in a similar manner. Blind Guardian is another valid comparison, so fans of heavy-edged melodic power metal with plenty of symphonic tendencies are bound to find lots to love on When Lightning Strikes. Keyboard player Corrado Solarino is actually given a pretty huge role here, and in addition to delivering plenty of symphonic overtones, his organ and synthesizer solos would not be out of place on a progressive metal album. Though his choice of tones occasionally borders on 'plastic cheese overload', there's no doubt that his playing is spectacular. The rest of the musicians are also top-notch, and although Drakkar have been absent from the scene for quite a bit of time, their craft as musicians has not deteriorated at all.

When Lightning Strikes has a cheesy European power metal flair in nearly every song, but I still find myself having a great time every time I put on this album. As cliched, typical, and pompous as Drakkar may be, they are damn good at delivering solid power metal records - people who are able to look past a few corny, yet still catchy and fun, choruses in songs like "We Ride" should be in for a great time. This won't appeal much to people outside of the core power metal fanbase, but fans of that genre should definitely investigate When Lightning Strikes. 3.5 stars are well deserved for this impressive comeback!

No DRAKKAR WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES reviews posted by members yet.

• Nergal131