DIMMU BORGIR — Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

DIMMU BORGIR - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia cover

Album · 2001

1. Fear and Wonder (2:48)
2. Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny (5:18)
3. Kings of the Carnival Creation (7:48)
4. Hybrid Stigmata - The Apostasy (6:57)
5. Architecture of a Genocidal Nature (6:08)
6. Puritania (3:06)
7. IndoctriNation (5:57)
8. The Maelstrom Mephisto (4:42)
9. Absolute Sole Right (6:26)
10. Sympozium (5:13)
11. Perfection or Vanity (3:36)
12. Burn in Hell (5:05)

- Shagrath / Vocals
- Erkekjetter Silenoz / Guitar
- Galder / Guitar
- Vortex / Bass & Clean Vocals
- Mustis / Keyboards, Synthesizers, Piano
- Nicholas Barker / Drums

Information missing - contribute to MMA, by filling this information using the left menu member zone link "Edit album infos". This function is only available to MMA Collabs.

Thanks to Vehemency, adg211288 for the updates

Buy DIMMU BORGIR - PURITANICAL EUPHORIC MISANTHROPIA music

More places to buy metal & DIMMU BORGIR music

DIMMU BORGIR PURITANICAL EUPHORIC MISANTHROPIA reviews

arcane-beautiful
After pretty much progressing their sound away from kvlt black metal standards, the band decided to take their music to the next zenith...with the help of an orchestra.

Yes. This is the start of Dimmu's collaborations with orchestras and in my opinion it is their best album to date and a very underrated one to say the least.

Ok...this song may not have an instant classic tune on it like “Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse” or “Gateways”, but as an album I believe this is a more cohesive effort, with a lot of room for experimentation but with a long running thread throughout.

Musically the band are very much on par with this album being the start of their classic line up phase. Very much almost being a supergroup of black metal, for this album the band where able to recruit Old Man's Child mainman Galder, the clean vocalist and bass player from Arcturus I.C.S. Vortex and the old drummer of Cradle Of Filth (who even played on my personal favourite album by Cradle) giving the band one hell of a new sound. One thing I always noticed about this album is that this has to be one of the loudest albums in existence. For some reason, whenever playing this on CD or browsing through it on my Ipod, I always need to turn my headphones down to stop my eardrums from bleeding. A definite winner in the loudness wars I think.

Lyrically the band see a departure from their more fantasy based lyrics and into a world of philosophical Satanism. With existentialism and misanthropic ideas floating about, the band have a created a very meek atmosphere, both lyrically and musically. Some of the language throughout can be heavily metaphorical and may be lost in translation at time. Also, the cover is a marvel to behold as well (as are the inner artwork of the album's booklet).

The opening instrumental is an orchestrated piece entitled “Fear & Wonder.” A beautifully crafted eerie yet beautiful musical moment, it really does start of the nature and emotions of the album to follow.

The album's real opener “Blessings Upon The Thrones Of Tyranny” is a mammoth of a song. With some of Dimmu's most kick ass riffs, the song is a face melter. One of the band's heaviest songs in their entire back catalogue.

The epic “Kings Of The Carnival Creation” is a rather interesting affair, with some cool moving sections throughout. Rather slow in nature at times, it is mainly kept with Shagrath's icy narrative tingling the hairs on the back of your neck.

“Hybrid Stigmata – The Apostasy” is probably one of my personal favourite Dimmu tracks. With some pretty cool moving sections throughout the real highlight comes in the slower moments which have some incredibly beautiful string parts. The real emotional climax can be heard in the middle section with Vortex providing a beautiful vocal performance. An underrated gem and a unknown classic in my opinion.

“Architecture Of A Genocidal Nature” is a very interesting track due to it being one of the only songs I have ever heard Shagrath showing off some melodic vocals. Bit of an oddity, the song is still very twisted and depraved throughout.

The album's lead single “Puritania” is a very interesting moment for the band. Taking in industrial influences and electronic sounds, the song is a rather odd track, with some eerie digitalized vocals from Shagrath throughout.

One of the album's most insane moments can be heard on “Indoctrination.” The main highlight of this track is the orchestral arrangements which can go from Disney esque to Hitchcock like horror in a matter of moments. A real thrill ride of emotions.

The album's closer “Perfection Or Vanity” is one of the most beautiful endings I may have ever heard to an album. A clashing instrumental with soaring strings, it really carries the album into a new zenith, mixing a multitude of emotions throughout.

In conclusion, this is my favourite Dimmu Borgir album and in my opinion an underrated metal classic. Definitly a highlight in the band's career, it really proves the creativity and uniqueness that these guys have brought to the metal world. The cover also has tits on it, which never goes wrong in my books.

8.7/10

Genres: Symphonic Black Metal, Black Metal, Extreme Metal, Symphonic Metal, Industrial, Progressive Metal

Country of origin: Norway

Year of release: 2001

No DIMMU BORGIR PURITANICAL EUPHORIC MISANTHROPIA reviews posted by members yet.

• Caio2112