The January Tree
DEADSOUL TRIBE

DEADSOUL TRIBE - The January Tree cover

Album · 2004

Filed under Progressive Metal

1. Spiders And Flies (6:05)
2. Sirens (4:26)
3. The Love Of Hate (3:42)
4. Why? (6:31)
5. The Coldest Days Of Winter (3:32)
6. Wings Of Faith (4:36)
7. Toy Rockets (5:31)
8. Waiting For The Answer (5:43)
9. Just Like A Timepiece (7:19)
10. Lady Of Rain (3:31)

- Adel Moustafa / Drums
- Devon Graves / Vocals, Guitars, Bass, Keyboards, Flute

InsideOut Music, August 30th, 2004

Recorded at Dead Soul Temple, Ossarn, Austria.
Mastered at Bazement Studios.

Thanks to Lynx33, UMUR for the updates

DEADSOUL TRIBE MP3, Free Download/Stream

No DEADSOUL TRIBE MP3s available for streaming.

Buy DEADSOUL TRIBE - THE JANUARY TREE music

No release results found : showing artist results instead
A Lullaby for the DevilA Lullaby for the Devil
Limited Edition
Inside Out Music / SPV Recordings 2012
A Murder Of Crows by Deadsoul Tribe (2003-07-28)A Murder Of Crows by Deadsoul Tribe (2003-07-28)
INSIDE OUT
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 12h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 3 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 6h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & DEADSOUL TRIBE music

DEADSOUL TRIBE THE JANUARY TREE reviews

"The January Tree" is the 3rd full-length studio album by Austrian/US progressive metal act Deadsoul Tribe. The album was released through InsideOut Music in August 2004. While the band´s preceding album release "A Murder of Crows (2003)" was recorded by a full lineup, band leader Devon Graves opted to record "The January Tree" almost entirely by himself. He plays and sings everything except for the drums on the album, which are recorded by Adel Moustafa. So the two other members of the band are reduced to touring members. A concept Graves would also use on the next two Deadsoul Tribe albums.

The music on the album continues the predominantly vers/chorus structured progressive metal style of it´s two predecessors and doesn´t add much new to the band´s discography in the way of innovation. It´s an album were it very much feels like Deadsoul Tribe had found a music style they were comfortable with and therefore didn´t feel the need to develop upon. As a result "The January Tree" is a solid release but it´s also a very "safe" release.

Musically we´re treated to heavy distorted riffs, some acoustic sections, lead harmony melodies, rhythmic drumming, and Devon Graves distinct sounding vocals on top. The material is relatively well written, but few tracks stand out. I´d mention "The Coldest Days of Winter" and "Wings of Faith" as some of the highlights, but overall it´s more a solid release than an outstanding one.

The slightly flat impression I get when listening to "The January Tree" also has a lot to do with the way the album is produced. Considering how often Devon Graves (who acts as producer on this album) has spoken of his love for organic sounding artists like Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Jethro Tull, it´s odd how artificial this production sounds. The drums are clicky and flat sounding, and the rest of the instruments and the vocals has a digital tone to them, which isn´t very suiting.

So upon conclusion "The January Tree" is an album which leaves me a bit biased, because objectively it´s a solid release featuring a professional sound production, decent songwriting, and strong musicianship, but it´s like the sum of the parts, just don´t add up to an album that´s extraordinary. Less will do though, and "The January Tree" is overall a decent release by Deadsoul Tribe and a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating is still warranted.
Sinkadotentree
This is DEADSOUL TRIBE's third studio album released in 2004. I must admit i'm somewhat of a fanboy of this band, and my praise would go back even further to Devon Graves earlier band PSYCHOTIC WALTZ. Love the album cover too which suits the dark music here. By the way that's Travis Smith's artwork which isn't surprising if your familiar with his work. What's so cool about this album besides the incredible lyrics by Devon (which he wrote first then set music to them)is the tribal-like drumming and added flute. Yes this can get heavy but it's more about the atmosphere and mood that Graves is trying to set. I'd probably rate this record and "A Murder Of Crows" as my favourite DEADSOUL TRIBE albums. A solid 4 stars.

No DEADSOUL TRIBE THE JANUARY TREE reviews posted by members yet.

• Lynx33