DARKTHRONE — Panzerfaust

DARKTHRONE - Panzerfaust cover

Album · 1995

Filed under Black Metal
By DARKTHRONE

1. En vind av sorg (6:21)
2. Triumphant Gleam (4:24)
3. The Hordes of Nebulah (5:33)
4. Hans siste vinter (4:50)
5. Beholding the Throne of Might (6:06)
6. Quintessence (7:38)
7. Snø og granskog (Utferd) (4:08)

- Nocturno Culto / Vocals
- Fenriz / Drums, guitar, bass, songwriting (including synth and vocals on "Snø Og Granskog (Utferd)")

Moonfog Productions
June 6th, 1995

Reissued in the U.S. through The End Records.

Re-released as coloured gatefold vinyl through Back On Black in January 2010.

Thanks to Vehemency for the updates

Buy DARKTHRONE - PANZERFAUST music

PanzerfaustPanzerfaust
PEACEVILLE 2018
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 65h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com

More places to buy metal & DARKTHRONE music

DARKTHRONE PANZERFAUST reviews

Darkthrone recorded this one very, very soon after Transilvanian Hunger, and at the height of the controversy surrounding the whole "Norsk Arisk Black Metal"/"thoroughly Jewish behaviour" incident. Crassly, the lyrics this time around include a few references to Jews, though this is mainly in connection with Christianity (referring to Christ as a Jew, referring to Jews and Christians as fellow monotheists, etc.); still, the flirting with the sort of lyrical concepts which would inform the NSBM scene may be off-putting to some listeners, and so should probably be mentioned. (For my part, I'm willing to believe that Darkthrone genuinely didn't believe all this stuff and were being shocking for the sake of being shocking, though they chose a particularly juvenile and stupid way of doing it.)

Musically speaking, the material on here is good but a bit all over the place. Some tracks are in the pure black metal vein of the preceding album, whilst others see the slower, doomier riffs of A Blaze In the Northern Sky and Under a Funeral Moon creeping their way back in. There's a sense that Darkthrone are looking around and wondering which direction to take their music in next, with the result that whilst the album is very enjoyable it doesn't quite move into the top tier of Darkthrone discs.
Vehemency
Often overlooked, Panzerfaust belongs to my favourite Darkthrone albums. It is the deep cold, dark atmosphere that gets me hooked everytime I hear this album. I understand people who say this album doesn’t bring anything new unlike the previous efforts, which is kind of true, but the same time I can’t dismiss the power that these compositions possess.

Musically, Panzerfaust includes two kinds of material: that which is reminiscent of the simple melodic and hypnotic style in the vein of Transilvanian Hunger (tracks ”En Vind Av Sorg” and ”Hans Siste Vinter”) and more doomish material that go by the names ”The Hordes of Nebulah”, ”Quintessence” and ”Behold the Throne of Might”. Celtic Frost influences are clear throughout the album. So, in a way it could be said that Panzerfaust is an infusion of Transilvanian Hunger and Under a Funeral Moon.

A mere cheap mixture, then? In my ears, no. The overall coldness that Panzerfaust manages to capture is phenomenal. The different musical approaches that I mentioned in the last paragraph makes Panzerfaust a diverse record, with a raw and wintry production that is pure gold to my ears. Nocturno Culto’s tortured shrieks are quite on top of everything but still not on a disturbing level. Fenriz, who oddly enough played all the instruments on this record, executes the songs pretty tightly, and especially his drumming is great sounding in the more doomish tracks of the album.

Ended with a beautiful outro that is somewhat reminiscent of Burzum’s more ambient material, Panzerfaust is an album of which personal importance I can’t underestimate. It’s not a Transilvanian Hunger, but actually very close to that and I am not afraid to say that it’s up there with the Darkthrone classics.

No DARKTHRONE PANZERFAUST reviews posted by members yet.

• Purple Haze

The Nothing Nu Metal
KORN
Celestial Heavy Metal
HALFORD

Confessions Of A Traitor - Twelve (Official Video)
CONFESSIONS OF A TRAITOR
Bosh66· 15 hours ago
Confessions Of A Traitor - Ocean Air (Official Video)
CONFESSIONS OF A TRAITOR