CULT OF LUNA — Vertikal II

EP · 2013

1. O R O (07:21)
2. Light Chaser (06:23)
3. Shun The Mask (11:59)
4. Vicarious Redemption (Remix by Justin K. Broadrick) (09:38)

- Johannes Persson / guitars, harsh vocals
- Fredrik Kihlberg / guitars, clean vocals
- Anders Teglund / keyboards, samples
- Thomas Hedlund / drums, percussion
- Andreas Johansson / bass
- Erik Olofsson / guitars
- Magnus Lindberg / percussion

CD released 17th September 2013 on Indie Recordings Indie 122 CD) / Density Records (WH30).

Thanks to adg211288 for the addition and Bosh66 for the updates

Buy CULT OF LUNA - VERTIKAL II music

Vertikal IIVertikal II
Workhorse Music Group 2013
Showing 1 items | Cache expiring in 32h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 12 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & CULT OF LUNA music

CULT OF LUNA VERTIKAL II reviews

Vertikal II (2013) is an EP release by Swedish sludge metal act Cult of Luna. It is the conclusion (I guess best described as an epilogue rather than sequel) to the concept that the band began on prior full-length Vertikal (2013) containing three new songs as well as a remix (done by Justin K. Broadrick) of the song Vicarious Redemption. Despite containing just four tracks the EP is actually around the thirty-five minute mark, which is of course a good deal shorter than the average Cult of Luna album is but in terms of other artists I’ve actually seen full-lengths put out that are shorter than this.

The three new songs continue the sound from Vertikal and that was pretty much to be expected given the nature of this EP. Atmospheric sludge metal with some dedicated post-rock sections and electronic influence. The same excellent mix of atmosphere and heaviness is captured once again although I must admit there are no tracks that stand out here the way Vicarious Redemption did on the full-length. The best in my view is the middle of the three new ones, Light Chaser.

This brings me around to the remix of Vicarious Redemption. It’s not a bad track on its own but is certainly a pale shadow of the original version and does feel rather unneeded. The length has been considerably cut from 18:51 to 9:38 and just doesn't build up the same way as the original did, or have as much impact.

If you enjoyed Vertikal then I see no reason why Vertikal II should not be a priority purchase. One does wonder why the band didn’t push for a double disc release for Vertikal in the first place rather than release the last few songs some months later as this EP but whatever, a great album tier rating is deserved.

80/100

(Originally written for Heavy Metal Haven: http://metaltube.freeforums.org/cult-of-luna-vertikal-ii-t3191.html)

No CULT OF LUNA VERTIKAL II reviews posted by members yet.

• clone62

You Would Find A New Beginning Alternative Metal
NEW ORDER OF SANITY
Nothing Short Of Irrelevance Metalcore
NOMAD (TN)

Converge - "A Single Tear"
Tupan· 54 minutes ago
Converge - "Melancholia"
Tupan· 57 minutes ago
Converge - "Aimless Arrow"
Tupan· 58 minutes ago
Converge - "Eagles Become Vultures"
Tupan· 59 minutes ago