Passion Rift
CHOWDER — the ultimate metal music online community, from the creators of

CHOWDER - Passion Rift cover

Filed under Doom Metal

1. Mysterioid (2:47)
2. The Innsmouth Look (3:42)
3. Salt Creep (4:56)
4. Passion Rift (18:18)
5. Insidious (4:40)
6. Head Full of Rats (1:40)
7. Mazuku (3:31)
8. Custody (11:00)

Total time 50:34

- Josh Hart / guitars, synthesizers, mellotron, theremin
- Doug Williams / bass, taurus pedals, cello
- Chad Rush / drums, percussion

Released May 2012 on I, Voidhanger Records.

Thanks to Time Signature for the addition

CHOWDER MP3, Free Download/Stream

No CHOWDER MP3s available for streaming.

Showing all 2 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on
Passion RiftPassion Rift
Ais 2012
Passion Rift by ChowderPassion Rift by Chowder
Showing 2 items | Cache expiring in 72h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on

More places to buy metal & CHOWDER music

Head full of riffs...

Genre: progressive doom metal

I have been introduced to a bunch of really interesting progressive doom metal bands this year, and especially Memory Driven, Sorrows Path and Barren Earth made a big impression on me. To this group I can now add the American trio Chowder, whose debut album "Passion Rift" is something else.

Central to their sound are the heavy beats of more traditional doom metal along the lines of Saint Vitus and Pentagram, which means heavy rocking, but not ultra slow, tempos and more defined riffs rather than a reliance on droning notes. But the eight instrumental tracks in this album reach far beyond the already very flexible boundaries of modern day doom metal, and the album features elements from both alternative rock and progressive rock with a slight touch of jazz and sludge as well.

Thus, many of the tracks on the album contain numerous shifts and changes, and you can also expect spaced out intermezzos featuring mellotrons and theremins (actually, the very first track - the aptly titled 'Mysteroid' is a pretty spacey affair which immediately hints that this is going to be a different doom metal experience). Some of the tracks are more uptempo and more straight ahead with 'Head Full of Rats' being more straight ahead and 'Salt Creep' and 'Insidious' being more quirky. The title track and 'Custody' are both epic in song length and feature a number of different sections and changes and impressions (but with the heavy riffs being the most compelling ones), and, while shorter, 'The Innsmouth Look' is no less heavy and feature perhaps some of the most crushing riffage on the entire album. To this, we can add the atmospheric and darkly mellow 'Mazuku'.

There is no doubt that the trio's level of musicianship is superb. The drumming style is energetic and has a jazz-like organicness to it, while the bass is rock solid and has a nice fat and round sound to it. The guitar work is pretty interesting. Riffwise, it has a Tony Iommi-like heaviness and groove to it, while, leadwise, it captures the same type of dynamism that trademarks Steve Howe's characteristic style of playing.

Heavy and doom-laden, yet organic and progressive, Chowder's 'Passion Rift' is a musical experience any fan of progressive doom and sludge metal shouldnot miss out on.

No CHOWDER PASSION RIFT reviews posted by members yet.

No CHOWDER ratings only posted yet.

Passion Rift Contents