Is this album a return to form. I’m not completely sure, I think I heard this being said, and I haven’t heard a lot of Candlemass (I need more, so any one want to tell me what album of theirs I should get next). This album is very Black Sabbath, and to be honest, whenever doom is completely Sabbath…I’m not the biggest fan of it.
Now, I do like Sabbath, but to be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of them! When it comes to doom, I prefer the slower stuff, but the kind of upbeat doom I also like, and I think I liked their self titled album a lot because it wasn’t too Sabbath.
This is also their second album with new vocalist Robert Lowe, and yea he is an amazing vocalist…but I prefer Messiah, I think he had this really unique voice, and Robert Lowe at times sounds a bit generic, and very much Dio inspired. Or I could be wrong, for all I know Messiah is a carbon copy of some singer I have never heard.
This album is a good album, its enjoyable, but theirs moments where I’m like, right “I’ve heard this before”, and “I would have never have done that.”
It’s really enjoyable, but it was a bit of a let down...compared to the other Candlemass album I have.
1. If I Ever Die – I think the hook should be more present. Great hook though. The middle section is pretty interesting. Quite punky too, it reminds me of modern Darkthrone. 9/10
2. Hammer Of Doom – Lyrics seem a bit cliché. Good arrangement with some very doomy moments. 9/10
3. The Bleeding Baroness – The changes are a bit random. Cool chorus. Some pretty killer riffs. Vocals are very Dio, but that’s not a bad thing haha. 9/10
4. Demon Of The Deep – Very doomy and quite evil. This song just flows so well, and it’s another song about Cthulu (we see this a lot in metal). Great vocals, this is the doom we all love. 10/10
5. House Of 1000 Voices – Reminds me of King Diamond. Quite odd but quite interesting too. Bit lengthy and drawn out though I feel. 8/10
6. Dead Angel – One of the best songs on the album. Amazing chorus. Interesting arrangement and great vocals. 10/10
7. Clouds Of Dementia – Mammothly heavy. Interesting arrangement. 9/10
8. My Funeral Dreams – The main riff is pretty groovy. Great arrangement and vocals. 10/10
CONCLUSION: This is a great album, even though I was a little disappointed…but meh, at least I enjoyed it haha