Torn Between Dimensions
AT WAR WITH SELF

AT WAR WITH SELF - Torn Between Dimensions cover

Album · 2005

Filed under Progressive Metal

1. The God Interface (4:04)
2. Torn Between Dimensions (5:57)
3. A Gap In The Stream Of Mind Part One (4:11)
4. Grasping At Nothing (5:22)
5. Coming Home (5:30)
6. The Event Horizon (5:18)
7. A Gap In The Stream Of Mind Part Two (7:45)
8. Run (3:04)
9. A Gap In The Stream Of Mind Part Three (1:37)
10. At War With Self (7:17)

- Glenn Snelwar / Guitars, Mandolin, Bass, Keyboards, E-Bow, Programming, Vocals

- Mark Zonder / Drums, Percussion
- Michael Manring / Fretless Bass, E-Bow

Free Electric, February 22nd 2005.

Thanks to colt, UMUR, Lynx33 for the updates

AT WAR WITH SELF MP3, Free Download/Stream

No AT WAR WITH SELF MP3s available for streaming.

Buy AT WAR WITH SELF - TORN BETWEEN DIMENSIONS music

Torn Between DimensionsTorn Between Dimensions
THE LASER'S EDGE 2017
Torn Between Dimension by At War With SelfTorn Between Dimension by At War With Self
Free Election
Torn Between Dimensions by At War With Self (2005-03-14)Torn Between Dimensions by At War With Self (2005-03-14)
Free Electric Sound
Showing 3 items | Cache expiring in 72h | Keyword-based search | Best seller rank | More results on Amazon.com
Showing all 3 items | *Auction price may increase, data is cached, expiring in 6h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com

More places to buy metal & AT WAR WITH SELF music

AT WAR WITH SELF TORN BETWEEN DIMENSIONS reviews

"Torn Between Dimensions" is the debut full-length studio album by US, Indianapolis, Indiana based progressive rock/metal act At War With Self. The album was released through the Free Electric Sound label in February 2005. At War With Self was founded in 2002 by multi-instrumentalist Glenn Snelwar (also known for his work with Gordian Knot) and is essentially a one-man project. "Torn Between Dimensions" does however feature session work by drummer Mark Zonder (Fates Warning, Warlord, Slavior) and bassist Michael Manring (Windham Hill, Jeff Loomis, Jim Matheos...among others).

And with a trio like that playing together it´s no wonder the musical performances on the album are of a high quality. Stylistically the music on the album is instrumental progressive rock/metal with strong jazz rock/fusion leanings and more than one nod towards latin music. While At War With Self is widely considered a metal oriented act, the metal elements are limited to some heavy riffing and occasional distorted guitar sections. A couple of darker tinged tracks also contribute to the metal sound, but it´s actually 90s Al Di Meola releases like "Orange And Blue (1994)" and "The Infinite Desire (1998)", that I´m mostly reminded of. So there are as many latin influenced acoustic guitar sections, jazzy guitar solos, fusion influenced drumming, and ambient keyboards featured on "Torn Between Dimensions", as there are heavy distorted riffs.

The balance between the different stylistic elements is an important element in At War With Self´s sound. At times the dynamic music works well and other times the transitions between sections are a bit more awkward sounding. There´s is no doubt that Glenn Snelwar is both a skilled musician and a skilled composer when it comes to the techncial aspect of playing and writing music, but listening to "Torn Between Dimensions" there´s very little on the album that really grabs me and pulls me in. I find myself more interested in the music from a musician´s point of view than from a music listener´s point of view, and although that sort of "musician´s music" is always interesting from a technical perspective, the music generally lacks emotional impact and memorability.

The sound production is also a bit disjointed and although all instruments individually feature a relatively good sound (the distorted guitar tone isn´t that well sounding though), the instruments don´t always work well together in the mix. So "Torn Between Dimensions" is an album with quality assets and some issues and therefore a 3 star (60%) rating is warranted.
Sinkadotentree
I originally bought this record back in 2006 after hearing that Mark Zonder(FATES WARNING) was involved. Mark of course is one of the best drummers on the planet and FATES WARNING is my favourite Prog-Metal band so it was a no-brainer. This is the project of Glen Snelwar who was on the first GORDIAN KNOT record. Actually that album isn't a bad reference point for what we get here on this all-instrumental concept album. Michael Manring completes the lineup playing bass and e-bow. I can't say enough about the music on this record and the cover art by Travis Smith is incredible. I've been playing this on and off for over a week as i re-acquanted myself with it and to be honest i kept putting off this review so i could keep on returning to it. There's a heaviness to this recording but also a lot of intricate play and atmosphere too as we journey through the 50 minutes of music.In my opinion this is a must-have for fans of instrumental music. M appreciation for this is higher than it ever has been.

No AT WAR WITH SELF TORN BETWEEN DIMENSIONS reviews posted by members yet.

• Lynx33