Judgement

Album · 1999

Filed under Metal Related

1. Deep (4:53)
2. Pitiless (3:10)
3. Forgotten Hopes (3:50)
4. Destiny Is Dead (1:46)
5. Make It Right (F.F.S.) (4:19)
6. One Last Goodbye (5:23)
7. Parisienne Moonlight (2:09)
8. Judgement (4:20)
9. Don't Look Too Far (4:56)
10. Emotional Winter (5:54)
11. Wings of God (6:29)
12. Anyone, Anywhere (4:50)
13. 2000 & Gone (4:50)
14. Transacoustic (3:49)

Vincent Cavanagh - Guitar, Vocals
Daniel Cavanagh - Guitar, Keyboards, Vocals on 7
Dave Pybus - Bass
John Douglas - Drums

Female Vocals on 7 and 9 by Lee Douglas
Piano on 12 by Dario Patti

Released by Music for nations on June 21st,1999.

"Transacoustic" (3:49) is a bonus track on the Japanese version as well as on
the digipack version.
Produced and engineered by Kit Woolven. Assisted by Dario (Ki-Nell) Mollo.
Recorded, mixed and mastered at Damage, Inc. Studios, Ventimiglia, Italy,
February 1st - April 15th, 1999.
Female voice on "Parisienne Moonlight" and "Don't Look too Far" by Lee Douglas.
Vocal on "Parisienne Moonlight" by Danny.
Piano on "Anyone, Anywhere" by Dario Patti.
Live keyboards performed by Martin Powell.
Front cover by Anathema.
Layout by Mez.
CD back photo by Darren White.
Individual photos by Rog Sargent.
Band photos by Dario (Ki-Nell No. 5) Mollo.
Dedicated to Helen Cavanagh (1949-1998).

Re-released on 180 gram double vinyl by Peaceville Records in 2011, limited to
2000 copies.

Thanks to Any Colour You Like, Prog Geo, Unitron, adg211288 for the updates

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download/Stream

Buy ANATHEMA - JUDGEMENT music

Showing all 24 items | Price may be different, data is cached, expiring in 24h | Keyword-based search | Ordered by ending time | See results on eBay.com
JudgementJudgement
Sony Bmg Europe 2008

More places to buy metal & ANATHEMA music

ANATHEMA JUDGEMENT reviews

siLLy puPPy
ANATHEMA (which is Greek meaning something dedicated to evil) is a band that I have heard a few tracks from over the years and they have always rubbed me the wrong way therefore I have avoided this band like a flea-bitten varmint carrying the plague. The truth is this band has had so many different sounds over their career and judging them from any particular phase could leave out one phase that might actually rub you the right way. In this case their 5th studio album JUDGEMENT does just that and rubs that spot that feels oh so good. With a long list of credentials including a sound in alternative rock, acoustic rock, art rock and more, this album finds the band steering their ship out of doom metal waters into a progressive rock sea. In fact if you ask me this band is heavily influenced by the Porcupine Tree albums of the same era with a bit of alternative metal sounds a la Alice In Chains in the mix. Fortunately these influences are strong but not putting them into any particular clone department.

What I am finding pleasing about this album is the strong melodic melancholy with aspiring acoustic arpeggios mixed with grungy chords and passionate pleas to placate the pain. The story is the two Cavanaugh brothers recently lost their mother so the mood of the album fits. This album also finds the band losing bassist Duncan Patterson who was a major contributor in the songwriting department leaving Danny Cavanagh to take the major role as such. This was an album I picked up with much trepidation but since it was one of their highest rated and praised I thought I should at least give it a spin. I was fearing I would find it in the same camp as Opeth, which is a much beloved and highly praised band that I seem to lack the digestive enzymes to comprehend, but to my surprise despite the heavy influences being just a little too obvious, I find myself liking this album a lot. It has enough of its own personality to win me over. Now I can tiptoe through their discography a little bit more hoping to hit on another winner such as this.
Sinkadotentree
I remember fondly when i discovered ANATHEMA along with PORCUPINE TREE and ANEKDOTEN all around the same time. I was in heaven to say the least. "Judgement" ws my favourite ANATHEMA album back then and the first half of the album is one of the strongest collection of songs i've heard. There is so emotion in this record and certainly the fact that the Cavanagh brothers had just lost their mom contributes to this. They dedicated this album to her and the song "One Last Goodbye" is about her passing and one of the most, if not the most emotional song i've ever heard. Also one of the most intense guitar solos i've heard is on "Pitiless" but like i said earlier the first half for me is flawless. This is one of those true 5 star albums in my collection that i value highly.
topofsm
Don't act like you've never heard alternative rock before. That's exactly what Anathema is putting out on Judgement. Continuing to drift away from their doom metal roots, Anathema went far more spacey and atmospheric. While there's nothing explicitly metal on the album to be found, it is well composed and has progressive tendencies, and a melancholy mood that metalheads will be able to appreciate.

The album kicks off with "Deep", a midtempo song that introduces the pained feelings that will be expanded upon later in the album. The acoustic guitar is a bit understated, but gives the piece a sorrowful edge.

It is hard to pick out other highlights on the album as well. While the songs on Judgement are distinct, the song flow is well constructed and the pieces simply work together. "Pitiless" picks up where "Deep" finishes, but is more hard hitting and scathingly bitter. "One Last Goodbye" is a heart-wrenching ballad and an outstanding addition to the album. "Judgement" starts off ominous until it builds faster into the most aggressive part of the album, though it's no heavier than any alternative rock generally gets.

There aren't really bad points of the album. The atmosphere is well put together and the soft guitars mix well with the somber tones of the album. It could be said though that the songs between the highlights aren't so memorable and eventually just fade into background music. That being said, there isn't a bad song on the record. It has the prog atmospheres that modern music lovers can't get enough of, and contemporaneous and similar in sound with Porcupine Tree. While not doom metal, Judgement is a great album in its own right.
Conor Fynes
'Judgement' - Anathema (9/10)

This is without a doubt, the perfect example of Anathema's musical style and strength as a band. Despite the high amount of acclaim that 'Alternative 4' receives, I don't find it to be a very strong album despite a few excellent tracks, but 'Judgement' really shows the band maturing and chanelling their depressive tendencies in a way that's not juvenile or irritating, but instead veyr beautiful and moving.

This is certainly a far cry from the band's doom metal origins, but the same sense of dread is still here in full. Having reached the pinnacle (thus far) of their career, there's the perfect balance of Anathema's traits here. There's a bit of a metal, experimental sound; but filled with gorgeous melodic hooks and rhythms.

'Judgement' is filled to the brim with great, soulful tracks; although the second half of the album starts to lack the same stunning flow the first half did. If I had to choose some great songs that uninitiated listeners could sample out; the songs 'Deep,' 'Forgotten Hopes' and 'One Last Goodbye' are all incredibly emotional and powerful, especially the last one mentioned...

'One Last Goodbye' certainly stands as being one of the very few songs I've ever heard that was perfect. Despite it only being 6 minutes long, it has such a haunting melody, and each note; each subtle nuance the song has it's place. The only other song I could really call 'perfect' is 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen, but that's another story...

When one says 'progressive metal,' this definately does not fit the traditional bill. It's a much different brand of music than your typical Dream Theater or Symphony X. There are metallic elements, but there's no space left for mindless fills; only pure and emotionally charged songwriting.

Realms ahead of most music out there in terms of emotion and effect. Absolutely superb.
Phonebook Eater
Anathema reaches to what seems to be maturity with this album, and start to have a more doom metal style more than progressive. Judgement is thirteen songs, all very very depressing, (typical doom metal characteristic) but some times have a great and emotional touch, like in songs such as "Deep" very slow and mellow, and "Pitiless", probably one of the bands best songs. We also have "Don't Look To Far" and the interesting title track that are at a pretty similar level, but not as high. However,some songs tend to be annoying ( I disliked "Forgotten Hopes" especially), and too profoundly into the atmospheric and desperate tones of the album, when songs should keep a certain distance between the dependency and independency of the album. (Not sure if I made this clear). Anyway, in general it's a pretty good album, and I give it 4 stars mainly for the presence of "Pitiless", possibly my favorite Anathema song. Anyway, it is still an excellent addiction to any prog or metal fan.
Any Colour You Like
Anathema: Judgement

*Warning, your depression will not be helped by this album*

Having been passed on to Anathema by a friend, I managed to pick up a copy of Judgement, their 1999 album. On first listen, I was deeply impressed by the melodic power of the guitar work. The riffs are not particularly extreme or technical, but have a wonderful melancholic tone, mixing slow, dread-filled doom, with more upbeat melodic rock. The Cavanagh brothers show themselves to be very adept at writing mournful songs, with aching lyrics, (One Last Goodbye) bone-crunching riffs. (Pitiless) With all the band members all contributing to lyrics and music, the album feels wonderfully succinct and well crafted.

One of the first things that struck me was the depressing lyrics. I love depressing music, it has a clarity and truthfulness about it that other emotions lack, yes, some may not like the bleak lyrical content; but if you like Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Devin Townsend et al, Anathema's lyrics should feel just right. While this album could be considered weak Doom Metal, or in a similar vein, the music itself is quite accessible. Metal fans will enjoy the riffing and dark atmosphere, while progressive fans will enjoy the more subtle nuances interspersed between powerful riffing and mellow vocals. Despite the obvious power of the album, on both a musical and emotional level, I would not consider the album to be especially progressive. Don't expect blazing technicality, nor eclectic divergences. Judgement is a solid, if unadventurous album.

What makes this album worthy of great respect is the palpable emotion in the music. Few songs have made me feel initially so blue as One Last Goodbye, a song written for the Cavanagh's mother, who had died before the record was made. Judgement is a very competent album, that unfortunately suffers from its own being. It is so amazingly mellow and melodic, that it just blurs the music into one without really grabbing the listener for more than a few moments. This is a minor gripe, for the majority of the album, it is more than satisfying. Think of it as a chill out album, with melodic metal riffs and depressing lyrics. By all means, don't be afraid to try Judgement, you just might find a reflective side of your personality... in a good way.

No ANATHEMA JUDGEMENT reviews posted by members yet.

• ElGordoPopochas