AMORPHIS — Elegy

Album · 1996

1. Better Unborn (5:52)
2. Against Widows (4:06)
3. The Orphan (5:18)
4. On Rich and Poor (5:19)
5. My Kantele (5:02)
6. Cares (4:30)
7. Song of the Troubled One (4:08)
8. Weeper on the Shore (4:52)
9. Elegy (7:22)
10. Relief (4:09)
11. My Kantele (acoustic reprise) (5:55)

- Pasi Koskinen / Vocals
- Tomi Koivusaari / Vocals, Rhythm Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Tambourine
- Esa Holopainen / Lead Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Sitar
- Olli-Pekka Laine / Bass
- Kim Rantala / Keyboards & Accordion
- Pekka Kasari / Drums

Full-length, Relapse Records, May 14th, 1996

Licensed to Nuclear Blast in Europe.

Cover artwork painted by Kristian Wåhlin.

In 2004, Relapse reissued Elegy as a digipack, featuring four bonus tracks:
12. Better Unborn (Live) (06:00)
13. Against Widows (Live) (04:05)
14. The Castaway (Live) (04:54)
15. Black Winter Day (Live) (03:39)

Thanks to CCVP, UMUR for the updates

Buy AMORPHIS - ELEGY music

More places to buy metal & AMORPHIS music

AMORPHIS ELEGY reviews

After Tales From the Thousand Lakes, Amorphis underwent a substantial gear change, shifting from the melodic death metal that had been the foundation of their sound to a more progressive and folk-oriented metal sound. Elegy is the sound of that gear change in progress, with the clean vocals provided by Pasi Koskinen being one of the more obvious symptoms of it; the jarring nature of the shift is exacerbated by lead-off track, Better Unborn, showcasing many of the more accessible elements of Amorphis' new sound.

There's an interesting mingling of influences in here, with the folk stuff extending to a sudden outbreak of polka at the midway point of the album on Cares. But precisely because the band are juggling so many different new ingredients of their sound, they end up producing something which sounds a bit jumbled and incoherent. They certainly no longer sound like the Amorphis of their previous two albums, but they aren't quite the Amorphis of their future career yet, leaving them in limbo.
poslednijat_colobar
Very interesting album from my favourite metal band - Amorphis. I would say it's a transitional album between their early death metal roots and their next musical adventures in stone rock and progressive rock. When I first got into Elegy, I've been thinking, it's the greatest music I've ever heard. But that's other story... This is truly their transition. There are new ideas and there aren't some of the earlier. The newest is the presence of much more heavy and progressive tunes as well as dynamic rhythms. However, there aren't death and doom sound here, except parts of the vocals. Amorphis save a lot of the folk themes in Elegy from the previous album (TFTTL). In my opinion Elegy is overall much weaker than Tales from the Thousand Lakes, which is real masterpiece. The reasons are: the simplifying of the compositions, lots of unnecessary repetitions and the weakness of the clean vocals presented by new vocalist Pasi Koskinen! However, it's still one of the strongest Amorphis albums so my vote shall be 4+ stars!
bonnek
This is a transitional album between their death metal roots and the space rock of Tuonela and Am Universum. It's is without doubt the most varied, original and experimental Amorphis release. Ranging from folk to space rock to death metal. There's often a lot of different things going on in one song.

But, not being very fond of the monotonous mumbling of the original singer, my appreciation of the music highly depends on who's handling the vocals. Not that the singing ever gets irritating, it's just a bit plain in comparison to the musical talent displayed on this album.

Elegy is a monument in modern metal but it has turned out to be one of my least played Amorphis albums.

No AMORPHIS ELEGY reviews posted by members yet.

• TheHeavyMetalCat

Live At Once Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
Impermanence Atmospheric Sludge Metal
SEA
El viaje astral del cuy Grindcore
SHAMAN ENFERMO