Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 94>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:28pm
Yeah but it's been on pre-load for almost a week and was supposedly ready to go several weeks before that. I'm pretty sure this patch could have been pre-loaded as well.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:52pm
Well I just got to play about 1 hour of Wild Hunt, more than I intended for my first look.

A couple of early impressions before I finally go to bed.

Firstly it looks stunning and so far, runs excellently, even though I'm lacking certain aspects of the recommended spec.

Combat, well I haven't been in any really serious fights yet but so far it is similar to the last game in some ways but expanded. I need to get used to it to form a proper opinion. All I can say really is that I finished off a few ghouls, drowners and wolves with ease but nearly got killed and had to leg it from a wraith.

I took my first screenshot just to celebrate:

GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:40pm
I don't know about you guys but I never buy games on launch day anymore, too many disappointments.  I'll wait until there are some 100s-of-hour reviews, and then probably for a sale after that.  I liked Witcher 1 and 2 though
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:11am
The Witcher 3 is the first game I have personally paid full price (well, pre-order price anyway) for in quite a long time. I had Skyrim for my birthday not long after it came out and I guess my parents paid pretty close to full price for it as well. That's the only two games I can think of since I really started PC gaming beyond the few titles I could run on my previous rig. 

So far the game hasn't given me reason to regret getting it. Some surprises in that certain things differ from what I was expecting (which may be due to me deciding not to watch or read pretty much anything about it for months). Most notably Wild Hunt's idea of an open world is a bit different to Elder Scrolls/Fallout open worlds. Where those games use one main continuous worldspace The Witcher 3 is done in chunks, and you can't walk/ride directly between them because you'll hit, not exactly an invisible wall, but a 'you're reaching the end of the world' message, and you won't be able to continue too far before it forces you into the world map. This isn't exactly a problem because the areas are quite big, especially the No Man's Land one and you can go back and forth between them, though you have to advance the main quest to unlock more of the world, rather than just being able to jump in and explore anywhere. The nagging issue for me here is that the game's world map is a lot bigger than the regions you can visit, so it looks like there should be a lot more to explore but you just can't. I guess the expansions will be adding new regions, but I expect most of the map is there for modders. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:37pm
Played about 15 hours of The Witcher 3 so far and...just had my first crash. Suppose that's a pretty good run by modern standards though. Pretty sure Skyrim crashed a lot more when I first had it, and I didn't have that on launch day.
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:48pm
^I watched a guy play the PS4 version last night for about an hour or so, and  during that time he had his first crash, apparently less than 2 hours into the game. Looks like the console versions have some serious problems.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:17pm
So, Adam was playing the Witcher all day while I was studying for that CPE exam. That's not fair.

Also, I'd love to see a positive comment on the game instead of some minor issues that apparently have become the favourite thing to point out (at least among "normal gamers"). I mean, Gamespot and Eurogamer gave it 10/10 mainly because of immersion and storyline. What about that, Adam? How's the story?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 9:48pm
I thought pretty much every major publication liked to give 10/10 to every hyped AAA game coming out, it's been like that for decades.  I didn't even know any of them bothered to give reasons anymore.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:13am
The story so far has been great, though I'm surprised mostly by the way they handled Geralt's reunion with Yennefer, since the the second game made quite a big deal out of her, gradually learning that she was not dead as originally stated but alive and has amnesia like Geralt. They resolved that storyline pretty fast and with not much feeling of connection between the two games. The Witcher 2 made it out that finding Yen would be some big deal in Geralt's story, but it was far from it really, it's resolved before you even get access to the main region of the world and your choices from the other games, including Geralt's romance options, aren't even mentioned. Triss just gets called their 'mutual friend' by Yen and left at that. Triss who in the second game Geralt took on a whole Nilfgaardian garrison to save, at cost of Temeria by not helping Roche. Haven't even seen her in the game yet. 

Also Radovid is apparently hunting mages, despite avoiding that ending in the second game by saving Triss, so so far your path in the Witcher 2 seems rather meaningless. 

However the events of the game itself are well written so far. Quests tend to be quite long and with many detailed stages, with options with how to reach your goals. There are also some very small quests that you can run into while travelling that you can resolve there and then, depending on your morality, such as choosing to either save a Nilfgaardian deserter from a lynch mob or let them carry on with it. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I thought pretty much every major publication liked to give 10/10 to every hyped AAA game coming out, it's been like that for decades.  I didn't even know any of them bothered to give reasons anymore.
Jeez man, how cynical of you. 

Besides, CD Projekt is not an AAA publisher in the same sense Activision or EA are. They're just an ambitious polish company with limited resources, it's as simple as that. Honestly, I didn't even know a success like that was possible here, until now. 
The hype is there because CDPR have proven their game is ambitious, not because they're a super powerful corporation that can build hype around even the shittiest of games.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 8:04am
Thanks to the power of emulation, I've been playing Zelda II: The Adventures of Link. Progression is tedious!
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:33am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Besides, CD Projekt is not an AAA publisher in the same sense Activision or EA are. They're just an ambitious polish company with limited resources, it's as simple as that. Honestly, I didn't even know a success like that was possible here, until now. 
The hype is there because CDPR have proven their game is ambitious, not because they're a super powerful corporation that can build hype around even the shittiest of games.

That's true.  Actually, a lot of people give the Witcher games irrationally low ratings because OMG BOOBIES THAT'S NOT ALLOWED LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

^I watched a guy play the PS4 version last night for about an hour or so, and  during that time he had his first crash, apparently less than 2 hours into the game. Looks like the console versions have some serious problems.

Game has crashed for me again in the same place now (inventory screen), but otherwise runs well on PC. 
GG2U

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 12:47pm

That's true.  Actually, a lot of people give the Witcher games irrationally low ratings because OMG BOOBIES THAT'S NOT ALLOWED LOL

Yes! Also, the whole feminist gaming movement started by Anita Sarkeesian (with whom I agreed at first, but eventually came to the conclusion that she's so biased and her approach to the subject terribly oversimplified) only makes things worse and harms games like The Witcher which depict a sexist/racist world yet DO NOT promote these things (quite the opposite, actually, Sapkowski is one of the few left-minded fantasy writers in my beautiful country).

Edited by bartosso - 20 May 2015 at 12:49pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:08pm

Yes! Also, the whole feminist gaming movement started by Anita Sarkeesian (with whom I agreed at first, but eventually came to the conclusion that she's so biased and her approach to the subject terribly oversimplified) only makes things worse and harms games like The Witcher which depict a sexist/racist world yet DO NOT promote these things (quite the opposite, actually, Sapkowski is one of the few left-minded fantasy writers in my beautiful country).

Yeah, I find it quite ironic that she says she's fighting against sexism, yet she's sexist herself. Also, if boobs are so bothersome, then why doesn't anyone get upset over ripped shirtless men? Society is so hypocritical.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:30pm
I'm not entirely sure whether she's sexist or not, but she definitely isn't objective. The issues she raises are important and it's good we have a discussion about them, but they're also very complicated and require the highest level of objective and critical thinking, something Anita only pretends to make use of.

What I always say, and I consider myself a more left than right-minded person, is that we we need popularization of gender studies instead of traditional feminism. Feminism has become obsolete and gender studies are what has come to replace it. An update, if you will. That's why many people grew tired of feminism - not because they do not agree with its principles, but because its principles are limited and, in many ways, out of date compared to the complex and contemporary nature of gender studies.

Edited by bartosso - 20 May 2015 at 1:38pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:38pm

I'm not entirely sure whether she's sexist or not, but she definitely isn't objective. The issues she raises are important and it's good we have a discussion about them, but they're also very complicated and require the highest level of objective and critical thinking, something Anita only pretends to make use of.

What I always say, and I consider myself a more left than right-minded person, is that we we need gender studies instead of traditional feminism. Feminism has become obsolete and gender studies are what has come to replace it. An update, if you will. That's why many people grew tired of feminism - not because they do not agree with its principles, but because its principles are limited and, in many ways, out of date compared to the complex and contemporary nature of gender studies.

Yes, I agree that we need gender studies instead of feminism. Partly because women aren't the only ones who have had issues, men also have many issues in gender roles in society.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:36pm
I've got some pretty strong opinions on that sort of thing, but I don't think this is the place to share them LOL

I think that Anita Sarkeesian's work is lazy at best, and more likely just plain intentionally misleading.  I think there are valid and honest critics out there for this sort of thing, but they aren't rolling in the absurd amount of money Sarkeesian gets for the small amount of work she does
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 9:49pm

I've got some pretty strong opinions on that sort of thing, but I don't think this is the place to share them LOL

I think that Anita Sarkeesian's work is lazy at best, and more likely just plain intentionally misleading.  I think there are valid and honest critics out there for this sort of thing, but they aren't rolling in the absurd amount of money Sarkeesian gets for the small amount of work she does

Yeah, I completely agree, I have no idea how she has so many followers Confused

Yeah, I would agree that a forum like this isn't a good place to get into a discussion on gender issues. LOL
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 10:21am
I don't know, if this isn't a good place to discuss that sort of things, what is? Tongue Still, I don't really feel like talking about it either. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 94>
  Share Topic