The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 94>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:40am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

The average approval rating of the new Tomb Raider game just keeps going down every time I look at Steam. Should I be worried Travis? Haven't seen you mention it again. 

Asking now as I'm tempted to buy this week as it's already gone on sale (until the 22nd) and with my Steam wallet build up and I get the complete edition for about £26 of actual money, which seems like a steal this early on. 

No, I liked it just as much as Rise, if not a bit more. I guess it depends on what you want, though, because it definitely focuses more on exploration and puzzles, and less on combat, compared to the previous two. I thought the first hour was weak, but everything else was excellent, and the tombs were some of my favorites, and while combat wasn't there as much, there were some great sequences in the second half. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by ColdReverie ColdReverie wrote:

I'll know if Yen's actress is good or not based on how much I can't stand her, funnily enough. Yen is pretty much my least favourite main character in the books and perhaps even more so in Wild Hunt so if I end up liking her in this TV show I'll be forced to conclude she was adapted badly. 

Funny you should say that; I thought I was choosing the unpopular option of rekindling Geralt's romance with Triss, but it seems I'm not alone in finding Yen unlikeable. Clap

I think it is the unpopular opinion among fans (especially old school book fans) overall. I do feel kind of bias toward Triss in some ways because I played the first two games before I was able to read any of the books, English translations not being available for the whole series until long after Wild Hunt came out and all, and the first two games really try to push Geralt and Triss together, even if you choose Shani in Witcher 1. Going into Wild Hunt from that and Triss always felt like the more natural romance option for Geralt and the fact that no matter what choices you make regarding her in the last act of Witcher 2, whether you rescue her or not most of all, they are split up at the start of Witcher 3 is one of the few writing gripes I have with the game, which also extends into how Yen centric they made it compared to the first two. Before patches, choosing Triss felt like a letdown in terms of how much exclusive dialogue the two characters had compared to the Geralt/Yen path. 

But even after reading the books they did little to make me want Geralt with Yen. I did that path once while doing a playthrough where I purposefully did everything differently to what my normal reaction is, but otherwise I don't see the appeal. Yeah, she's beautiful, but she continually manages to make it seem only skin deep. Doesn't mean that every time I play The Last Wish quest in Wild Hunt I don't feel like a complete arsehole for choosing the 'I don't love you anymore' option. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
ColdReverie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColdReverie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:32am

I'll know if Yen's actress is good or not based on how much I can't stand her, funnily enough. Yen is pretty much my least favourite main character in the books and perhaps even more so in Wild Hunt so if I end up liking her in this TV show I'll be forced to conclude she was adapted badly. 

Funny you should say that; I thought I was choosing the unpopular option of rekindling Geralt's romance with Triss, but it seems I'm not alone in finding Yen unlikeable. Clap
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:01am
The average approval rating of the new Tomb Raider game just keeps going down every time I look at Steam. Should I be worried Travis? Haven't seen you mention it again. 

Asking now as I'm tempted to buy this week as it's already gone on sale (until the 22nd) and with my Steam wallet build up and I get the complete edition for about £26 of actual money, which seems like a steal this early on. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:51pm
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:43pm
LOL 

But yeah, that's what my brother was like with some GoT characters. He knew Joffrey was cast perfectly, because as soon as he saw him he wanted to punch him in the face. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:41pm
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
Yeah, I was literally just about to post that LOL

That's good news, though. Both her and Yennifer look promising, at least on appearances. Now we just need to see if they can play their parts well enough. I've pretty much not been watching any shows at all lately (though still have some Netflix stuff to get o, notably Altered Carbon) but that's one I'll definitely watch at least a couple episodes of when it releases, just out of sheer curiosity.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 10 Oct 2018 at 1:09pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:57pm
Ciri has been cast in the Netflix Witcher and is NOT Bame after all.

GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 1:08pm
I never went back to Andromeda, because I was too upset over the "fan" (more like idiot haters) reaction killing the series, and the fact that we never even got single player DLC. I remember loving the game, though, and probably still would if I played it again. Maybe if they ever make another one, I'll play it again in preparation.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2018 at 12:01pm
Just finished a second run of Mass Effect Andromeda. The game's performance is much better on PC now though can still occasionally be really choppy, especially just after loading. I felt the game held up to a second playthough: not getting the backlash it got really. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 12:35pm
Yeah, I always hated the end of that one, just because it was clear sequel bait, and I hate that sort of thing, especially when no sequel ever comes. I'm especially sad that there won't be a sequel to The Wolf Among Us, as that was my favorite game by them, but at least that one did have a pretty clear ending, so it's not like Borderlands or especially Game of Thrones, where they left a lot unresolved. 

It's good they're actually getting The Walking Dead finished. I just hope the episodes still turn out fine and aren't badly rushed, just to get them out.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:40am
Still a shame there won't be a second Tales From the Borderlands now. I know it wasn't technically on the cards anyway, but I still had hope. I hate unresolved cliffhangers like that game had.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 1:26am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 1:04am
This is very sad. Some of the best games of recent years I've played have been made by them and I know I'm not the only one to feel that way given how well received a lot of them have been. Maybe this is proof that the episodic release structure is not a good thing in the long run as a lot of people, like me, will not buy the titles until they are 100% released. Of maybe they just bit off more than they could chew with too many franchises going at once instead of focusing on the titles people most wanted - I know I'm not the only one who wanted a second Tales from the Borderlands - yet they opted to make more than one Minecraft game since then and that was one of their less well received titles. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 10:07pm
It looks like Telltale is officially done: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/09/21/narrative-adventure-studio-telltale-games-essentially-closes-down

On the one hand, I feel terrible for the over 200 employees suddenly losing their jobs, as that has to be incredibly stressful, and they're probably desperately scrambling to find work now, which is terrible.

On the other hand, though, I'm a bit upset, because I paid $27 for the final season of The Walking Dead, which was supposed to be four episodes, but it looks like it's ending after two episodes. If true, I feel like I've been robbed of $13.5 dollars, for the two episodes I'll never get, but even more than that, not getting to see the ending to a story I've followed for close to 5 years now, would be absolutely heartbreaking. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 21 Sep 2018 at 10:14pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:52am
Well someone was bound to do it:

GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:48am
94% positive reviews on Steam so far as well. I have decided to hold off though and see what kind of deal I can get on this around Christmas time. I still have games dating back to Steam sales a year or more ago that I haven't touched yet as well as a few major titles that I've picked up over the years but never got around to. Now that my most recent Wild Hunt run is done, I'm thinking of looking at:

Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 (started it but drifted away - I should at least try to finish it)
Saints Row Gat Out of Hell (also started it but didn't go very far for some reason)
The Walking Dead A New Frontier (I guess I'll restart this from scratch after all this time)
Mad Max (owned it for ages - never even started it up)

Or I may play some shorter and more casual indie games for a while - the kind I don't usually go back to once done - just to clear them from the backlog. My gaming guilty pleasure is actually Hidden Object Games and I have a ton I haven't played yet. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 10:44am
I actually did start Shadow of the Tomb Raider right away, since Dragon Quest is nowhere near being finished, and putting Tomb Raider off for long would have made me restless, I think. It's basically Rise 2.0, except with less combat, and it has the slowest start of the three modern games, which is saying something, considering they all have pretty slow starts. Otherwise, all gameplay elements are there and as good as ever, the story seems good as usual, and the combat picks up big time in the second half, with the implementation of stealth being possibly my favorite in any game I've played, as I usually hate forced stealth, but this game handles it really well, with some of the things you can do. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:48pm
I preordered a physical copy for PS4, and should get it Wednesday, but I won't be playing it until at least next weekend, because I'm still playing Dragon Quest XI. That game is looking to last me close to 100 hours, as I'm almost 40 hours in and apparently well under halfway through the game. It's been quite fun, though, so I certainly can't complain. 

It's weird, though, even if they're completely different styles of games, that Square Enix would release the two that close together. I mean, there probably isn't much crossover, but at least in my case the hype for Tomb Raider isn't quite there right now, simply because I know Dragon Quest will have me distracted for a long time yet. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 94>
  Share Topic