The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 94>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:57am
I think you were right to hold off on Mankind Divided, unfortunately: A streamer I watch sometimes apparently had an issue where the game would keep crashing while trying to load at the same part every time, so he can't advance the game and now has to wait for a patch. He's playing on Steam and he was told it's a common problem. It's pretty damn sad to see a full price AAA game get released in that state.

I played it for a bit and liked the world, interactions and the hacking, but the enemy encounters seem to be a bit too much for me so far. Hopefully I can get into the combat, though, because everything else seems great.

Right now I've been playing a beta demo for a game called Nioh, which is up for two weeks, so I want to try and finish it before committing fully to Mankind Divided. It basically plays like Dark Souls except that al the criticisms Souls games get for being unfairly difficult, which I find to be false as an experienced player who knows the games well, actually do apply a bit to this one. For example, every time you take a hit your stamina drops, which can quickly lead to you getting stunned, and enemies can kill you in 2-3 hits. Yeah, no0t exactly the most fair gameplay. I like it and probably will buy the game, if not at full price, but compared to the Souls games it does feel like they blatantly tried to make as hard a game as possible. 

Edited by DippoMagoo - 27 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:06am
You're right that Fallout 4 didn't. Deus Ex has a small chance but it obviously won't be a massive one. 25% at most if we are lucky (I've actually already seen some 25% offers though some places). 

Dishonored 2 I'm getting then regardless of whether or not it has a discount. I loved the first game so much that it's earned a full price purchase from me...plus I already kinda feel like I owe them money anyway. I got the complete version of the first game dirt cheap due to a Steam pricing glitch. £2.39 for the game and all DLC. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:51am
My husband and I are waiting to see if Mankind Divided gets any sort of a discount in the Steam Christmas sale. It'll have been out a few months by then. Doubt Dishonored 2 will get a discount since it's not out until November (Fallout 4 did not last year if I recall correctly), but I expect we'll get that at the same time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm
Well it would have been around Xmas time before I was even considering getting it anyway, so hopefully they do something before then. Though I did just see an article that said that the Very High and Ultra presets are more about future-proofing to keep the game looking great as technology improves (Rise of the Tomb Raider had a similar setting, though cards that could supposedly handle it did exist for it), so maybe people are reading the GTX 970 recommend GPU as being able to get 60FPS average on Ultra with one or better. Apparently the devs are only promising a 60FPS average on the high preset. Rise of the Tomb Raider was the same, though it still had areas that ran noticeably worse such as the Geothermal Valley. 

I expect I'll replay Human Revolution before I get Mankind Divided either way. 

Have to say though that out of the two it's Dishonoured 2 I've most hyped for. 

Edited by adg211288 - 23 Aug 2016 at 12:19pm
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:50am
That sucks. Hopefully they can get it patched and working better soon. I'll be able to give you an idea of how bad it is later tonight: My brother pre-ordered the game and will be starting it later tonight. His PC can run just about anything well, so if he tells me he's having serious problems running the game, we'll know something has gone seriously wrong with the Steam version.

The game also apparently has microtransactions, which is lame. At the very least they don't factor into the main game at all, but that's still disappointing to hear.

I started the game up last night, but only had enough time to do the tutorial mission, so I can't say much about it yet. The graphics seem better but a little less unique, and the controls feel better than in Human Revolution, but still a bit off. Other than that, there's not much to say so far.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:39am
So it seems the new Deus Ex runs absolutely terrible on PC if most of the Steam reviews coming in are to be believed, with not even the new GTX 1080's able to get good performance. 

I'm glad I never bit the bullet and bought it now. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
Been playing this today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/482300/

Not bad, though a bit too much of a walking simulator. There's a presentation of threats in the form of enemies but encounters are totally scripted so there isn't ever any real danger. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:32pm
I would never be able to speed run those games, one because I suck at the more complex platforming parts and fail them a lot, and also because I like to play slow and explore a lot. I took just under 11 hours to beat The Pirate's Curse, which is probably extremely slow, and about 8 hours for Risky's Revenge. 

I did end up playing all the way through Dex. Usually I'd have written a mini-review on my videogames list on RYM by now, but I really can't decide what to rate the thing. I never did get the hang of combat: It got a little better as I put skills into both melee and ranged, but even then it still felt awkward. It also has hacking sequences which turn it into an NES style space shooter, and while I like the idea, the execution is sometimes fun but sometimes terrible. But at the same time, I loved exploring the city, loved the story and lore, loved the sidequests, which often had their own story, and I certainly can't say I didn't have a great time overall. What makes it frustrating is it ticks so many boxes for things I love in games, and yet the execution is so off in certain areas, it's hard to really recommend. I sure enjoyed it, though. 
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

I played through a couple of 2D platformers called Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. They were both fun little games, with light metroidvania elements, mostly for using your abilities you unlock through story areas to go back and explore areas and find health/magic upgrades, as well as items for side quests. They were both very good, and the new one coming next month looks great as well.
Shantae is fantastic! I did a speedrun on Pirate's Curse and I'll never forget how fun it was. I'm definitely on board for Half Genie Hero.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:57pm
Finally got around to playing The Old Blood. Wasn't nearly as good as New Order but they did have like a quarter of the development time so for what it is it was pretty good. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 5:34am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

I liked Nehrim even though it was all in German. I'll be sure to try Enderal as well.

I just reinstalled Nehrim. I'm enjoying Enderal but I can't for the life of me remember much about what happened in Nehrim so I may even replay it it all before continuing with Enderal. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:04pm
I played through a couple of 2D platformers called Shantae: Risky's Revenge, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. They were both fun little games, with light metroidvania elements, mostly for using your abilities you unlock through story areas to go back and explore areas and find health/magic upgrades, as well as items for side quests. They were both very good, and the new one coming next month looks great as well.

I also started another metroidvania style game called Dex. It has a cyberpunk setting, which is cool, and I like the world design and dialogue so far, but the combat is going to take some time to get used to, as it feels very clunky and button mashy. Hopefully I can get it to work, because so far it's been holding the game back for me.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 4:47pm
I liked Nehrim even though it was all in German. I'll be sure to try Enderal as well.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:32am
Enderal, the total conversion mod for Skyrim, has now been released in English. It's a sequel to the Oblivion total conversion mod Nehrim which I played a lot of a few years ago and actually ended up enjoying more than the base Oblivion game, even though all the audio was in German. Enderal has English audio though and so far its been pretty good though performance has been rather choppy on the FPS even on my GTX 970/i7 6700k rig... but base Skyrim has dips as well so it's probably not the Enderal devs fault. 

Anyway, recommended if you own Skyrim on PC. One thing to note though is that because this is not a Steam mod (I really wish they could get their games on there as others have done) is that it will overwrite Skyrim will installed, so you have to have one or the other...though this may cease to be a problem once the updated Skyrim is out as I think that will use a new install and if I recall correctly anyone who already owns it and all DLC on PC is entitled to a free copy. 
GG2U

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm
I hated the Vault-Tec DLC. Hopefully the DLC run ends on a high with Nuka World.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 3:41pm
Yeah the DLC overall has been sub par. They set a high standard with Fallout 3 which New Vegas lived up to, so this has mostly been a disaster. My views so far are that Automaton was okay since it had an actual questline, Far Harbor was good, Vault Tec was crap and the other two packs were neither here nor there as much of the stuff in them modders had already done. I do use a fair few things from Contraptions in my current settlements though such as the ammo press. 

While I'm still building a massive settlement in Fallout 4 on the Starlight Drive-in site, I've gone back to the Witcher 3 and started from scratch with the intent to play though the whole thing in order: base game (Velen, Norvigrad, Skellige in order), Hearts of Stone and finally Blood and Wine (which believe it or not I've only played once so far). 

I want to get that new Deus Ex but it will be some time before I can. The last one was excellent so I'm hoping this lives up to it. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 1:32pm

I've been disappointed with the DLC for Fallout 4, aside from Far Harbor, but this trailer is absolutely hilarious! Hopefully the actual content will deliver. Oh, and it's out in two weeks from tomorrow. I won't be playing it right away because I'll be playing the new Deus Ex first, but I will get to it shortly after that.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 15 Aug 2016 at 1:36pm
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:11pm
Beat Hydlide. Last boss is a bitch, it was harder to get the damn skeletons to walk around the grave in the bottom screen than to run to the top screen, use flash, touch the boss for a second and quickly run back down, while avoiding the respawned enemies, to the bottom screen. I died more times in the bottom screen trying to get them to walk around the grave than I died trying to kill the boss. 

Even though it's obtuse in just about every way possible that a game can be, it did originally come out in 1984, and it was pretty innovative. It's one of the first action rpgs ever, one of the first games to use a quick save system, and probably the first game ever to have regenerative health instead of needing some form of a healing item (as far as any sort of action related games go), and how many games use regenerative health now-a-days? Quite a few. How many games can you think of back in the 80's and 90's that had regenerative health? Not many. The main problem imo is that this was released in 1989 in North America. No one would even dare to consider porting a six year old Japanese only computer game to the Xbox One or PS4 virtually unchanged now, but porting old computer games to current consoles was a fairly common thing to do back then. It's really more the fault of FCI for releasing it in NA six years after it came out that the game is considered one of the worst on the nes, than it actually being a truly bad game. It's worth a play for anyone who genuinely likes oldschool rpgs, as long as you don't expect all that much from itTongue.

Edited by Sheavy - 12 Aug 2016 at 11:12pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 12:14pm
Well it shouldn't be long now until we get the last bit of Fallout 4 DLC.

I, in the meantime, have discovered that it's possible to break all story continuity in the base game in a pretty easy way: Be hostile to Father when you first go to the Institute. Get kicked out before you even really get in. Then destroy them with the Minutemen. 

Seems like the best ending at first since it allows you to keep the Brotherhood and the Railroad alive, but boy oh boy it's clear that Bethesda didn't really plan for anyone to do this and both factions keep reference events that happen on their path in the main quest but didn't on this save. In the Railroad Desdemona was talking about the loss of Glory, even though Glory is walking around alive and kicking in the same room. In the Brotherhood Hallen thanked me for sparing Danse and even going to visit him in the bunker, even though the truth about Danse never came out in this save and he's still aboard the Prywen none the wiser (same as everyone else). P.A.M. in the Railroad wants to start a war with the Brotherhood even though there isn't any hostility towards then at this point. 

People bemoaned the lesser RPG elements in this game but I've come to the conclusion that isn't even the real problem with it. It's like each quest line exists only in its own self-contained little universe and has no way of interacting at all with the larger world (whereas in Witcher 3 it remembers everything relevant to the current dialogue with the only really major slip-up being in Blood and Wine where Geralt discusses how the base game ended even if it hasn't happened yet). I can leave that Vault and go off straight away to a place with Ghouls, but I still won't know what a Ghoul is in early dialogue's with Preston. I can start a settlement and plant 1000 tato's but I still won't know what a tato is during a conversation with Blake Abernathy...yet I can talk about events that didn't even happen on a certain save. 

Mental. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Ha, yeah. It's no Zelda but I'm actually somewhat enjoying it. It's not as bad as people make it seem, or I just have a high tolerance for bad rpgs.

To be honest, I've never played it, but it doesn't look fun from reviews I've seen. Tongue
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 94>
  Share Topic