Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 257>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 11:08pm

this was awesome
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 2:23am

Better than I expected. It's a strong story because Jules Verne's original is a classic and a ripping yarn. The Nautilus is a work of art. There's some great action scenes, with Kirk Douglas swashbuckling his way though the movie. The giant squid is a little unconvincing, but it doesn't spoil the overall effect of the movie.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 8:52am
Been doing more reading lately, but I've watched the following movies, starting with continuing my journey through Disney films I've never seen with this duo:

Not Disney's best work, but the second one especially is loaded with the kind of satire I can appreciate. 

This may be one of those films that doesn't click without a second viewing, once you know what to expect from it. First go around and I couldn't make head to tail of it. 

Almost switched this off early, but saw it through after the twist become apparent. Rather messed up movie though. I wouldn't want to see it again, though it is quite visually stunning in terms of cinematography. 

Finally saw the original! That's another one ticked off the horror bucket list. It's a lot better than the remake (which I didn't think was too bad when I first saw it without having seen this, but now feels a lot weaker having actually seen this version). 

And finally we come to the best movie of this bunch, which I'm still reeling from. I'm not sure there's a movie ever where a twist ending has actually shocked me so much, and the sisters gasp as the penny drops on what her brother has found out is going to be living rent free in my head for a long time to come. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 6:49pm

A difficult story to do justice to, but I think this does. It's the classic unreliable narrator story - how much is true and how much is invention of a mind trying to justify it's actions? The nymphet aspect is an added difficulty in telling the story, but it's more about obsession than sex.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 9:01pm

Talk about sticking up for what you believe! If it was me I'd change my tune in seconds flat! Anyway, this movie looks amazing and has an incredible cast. A bit slow and talk-y in places, but this sometimes happens with stories based on real events.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 10:59pm

That was a really bad night out... Was cool to hear Bad Brains in a punk club though.
DeathofMan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathofMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 11:42pm

This movie is basically just Nicolas Cage acting like a crazy person for one and a half hours. A little slow in the beginning, but it’s a good movie if you like Nicolas Cage

Edited by DeathofMan - 25 Feb 2022 at 11:43pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 12:12am

has to be Clint's best movie
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 1:20am

I wrote essays about Pizzaro and the Spanish conquest of the Incas and South America in general when I was at university, but I always had problems visualising it. This really brings to life how perilous and foolhardy it all was. The folly and stupidity of some of the things these people did in the name of God and in pursuit of myths is astounding. It caused so much death and destruction.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

I wrote essays about Pizzaro and the Spanish conquest of the Incas and South America in general when I was at university, but I always had problems visualising it. This really brings to life how perilous and foolhardy it all was. The folly and stupidity of some of the things these people did in the name of God and in pursuit of myths is astounding. It caused so much death and destruction.

Great film. I'd like to see it again sometime. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 9:03am
^ yes, one of my all-time favourites
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 2:09pm
Lord of Illusions (1995 - US/UK): A cult classic; niche, stylistic and nightmarish horror film, from Clive Barker: The Horror Conjurer. IDK why and how it slipped by me in all these years, given that I'm a humungous Barker fan. His directing is/was very experimental. I thoroughly enjoyed all the movies he directed, including the "cheesy" Nightbreed. 9.5/10

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 6:42pm

Amazing movie. I've actually been to Gwang-Ju very briefly (I lived in Jeon-Ju, about 100 km north). I knew of student riots there, but not the extent and severity of it all. Song Kang-ho is brilliant as ever too, bringing a touch of bumbling comedy when needed in what's mostly a very serious movie.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2022 at 9:01pm

Fucking awful. Dreadful rip-off of Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Kathy Ireland is an annoying bitch, and most of the cast can't act. 
The worst thing about it? It looks amazing. It's a well-developed world, looking something like a cross between Tank Girl and well, the 1950s Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Such a waste of a great setting on such a shitty story.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 3:58am

'They call me, MISTER TIBBS!'
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 5:38am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Amazing movie. I've actually been to Gwang-Ju very briefly (I lived in Jeon-Ju, about 100 km north). I knew of student riots there, but not the extent and severity of it all. Song Kang-ho is brilliant as ever too, bringing a touch of bumbling comedy when needed in what's mostly a very serious movie.

I loved this one. And by loved I mean completely shocked by it of course. 

Sadly there's absolutely no release of this in the UK, not even the total digital on Prime, but it does get shown on TV every so often. I have it permanently recorded on our Humax box. The only film I've never deleted straight away after watching. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2022 at 12:29pm

Ealing + Alec Guinness = win. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 12:27am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 7:15pm

meh
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 2:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 212213214215216 257>
  Share Topic