Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 257>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 11:01am

A fun sci-fi romp that I'd probably have loved had I seen it when I was younger, rather than this being the first time. 

The best thing I can say about it is that it's very 80s. Otherwise one big pile of meh. 

The first of two of what I'm calling not-biopics that I watched today. I didn't find this as messy as some are saying (but it's totally as exploitative as they're saying). It's most questionable aspect is the running time. This doesn't feel like it needs to be a near three hour movie. It gets an extra half star though for Ana de Armas' performance. 

This one though was bloody brilliant. It's not the most sympathetic portrayal of the British Royal Family, but this is supposed to be the most accurate portrayal of what Diana was actually like. But again, I'd call this a 'non-biopic' since it's even more fictional than Blonde. Actually, this is not unlike a horror movie in some respects. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 10:01pm

Still silly, but still fun. The second biggest movie of 1977 after Star Wars.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 4:43pm

Similar message to Westworld - don't be mean to sexy androids.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 08 Oct 2022 at 10:01pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 2:46am
I got behind here again:

Meh. Some similar vibes to The Descent, which is a much better film and should just be watched instead.

This was good, although it's apparently very far from the book upon which it is based. Not always the best paced film, but Edward Norton (who also directs and screenwrites) gives a compelling, committed performance as the Tourettes suffering protagonist. The supporting cast is strong too. 

A quite bleak film from South Korea. I noted this one as being from the same director as New World, which was brilliant. Sadly this one is less so, as it drags somewhere in places, particularly in the middle. The ending though is surprising and brutal. 

Finally got around to watching this one which has been on my radar for a while. It's not as good as I'd hoped, but I enjoyed it. I feel like they could have done more with the idea than they did, especially considering it's 2 hour plus runtime. 

This was okay. A slow burning psych horror from Ireland. 

Piss-poor, sadly. 

The first TV movie or as they call it, 'special presentation' of the MCU (it's only just long enough to qualify as a film). A massive departure for the franchise, since until the final scene it's in black and white and made to feel like an older horror movie from the 1930s to 1940s. 

Now this was good, especially for a 'slasher', although I'm struggling to completely accept this in slasher canon, since it takes just about an entire hour to feature a kill. It certainly turns into one at that point though. The lead actress, Mia Goth, plays dual roles as both the protagonist and antagonist. 

Whatever you want to call it, X is certainly among the best modern horror movies and it's prequel, Pearl, filmed in secret at the same time, is supposed to be even better. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 1:44am

OK, I admit I watched this purely because it has Lemmy playing a bit part as a water taxi driver. He plays Ace of Spades in his cab too. And Iggy Pop is a radio DJ. There's also a snippet of Ministry, which curiously has a GWAR video playing in the background... But anyway, it's a good looking evil robot movie. It's like Blade Runner without the noir and the compelling story, but once you know it's an evil robot story, that's about all there is to it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:16pm

Based on James Clavell's own experiences in a Japanese POW camp. Interestingly, there's not much Japanese presence through much of the movie (compare it to Bridge on the River Kwai), just that sense that they are always there. There's also the clash of cultures, between the British and Aussies vs the Americans.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 2:11pm

Not horrible, but a good thriller should have more tension. 

Also not horrible, but too like the much better movie The Autopsy of Jane Doe. 

Neither of these turned out to be really worth watching. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:33am

I enjoyed this director's last film, Penguin Highway, a lot. This one didn't work on a lot of levels for me. I found the plot rather poorly explained so I'm not sure of exactly how what happened was supposed to have happened. The main characters (who are all kids) really weren't sympathetic and can be reduced to high school stereotypes, while the supporting characters (also all kids) and generally bland foils for their more important friends. 

If you want a movie about people in a world that is completely flooded, you'd do better to watch Waterworld. 

Darkly comic Irish crime antics. Amusing throughout even if hardly revolutionary. I'd call it underrated. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 11:28pm
Zulu is still regarded as a great movie, this isn't. This covers the battle of Isandlwana, which occurred a few hours before the battle at Rorke's Drift, and in this case the British army got massacred. The battle scenes are excellent, but they are somewhat unfocused, because it's hard to know where all the main players and forces are actually situated. The movie has a very strong cast, although there was criticism levelled at casting Burt Lancaster because he was shit at accents. I think this is thought of as the far lesser movie because Zulu is so fondly remembered, and in this one the British lose. Also, they are portrayed as less sympathetic to the Africans which is more realistic but might be hard to stomach.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 5:41pm

Strange little movie. I saw it when I was a kid and remembered the ballad. Jane Fonda didn't want to do it and thought it would be crap, but was contractually obliged. It ended up nominated for 5 Oscars, with Lee Marvin controversially winning best actor, and making himself a name as a Hollywood drawcard at the same time. There's some great trick horseriding, and it features Nat King Cole as one of the balladeers, but the story is a bit lightweight. Other than Cat, Kid Shelleen, and the surprisingly culturally aware Jackson Two-Bears, the rest of the cast are basically cardboard cut-out Western characters.

Edited by Vim Fuego - 01 Oct 2022 at 5:44pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:22pm

Some interesting ideas, but it is nowhere near as fleshed out as it could be. We're just thrown straight into a situation with no context or buildup, it drags after about half an hour and it ends up being all and all quite frustrating. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:27am

The second Pink Panther film which isn't really a Pink Panther film. Released only three months after The Pink Panther, this was based on a French play "L'Idiote". Inspector Clouseau is finally fleshed out fully, with his silly accent now in place. And it's Peter Sellers in full comedic flight, so well worth a watch for slapstick physical comedy and a big dose of absurdity.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:09am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Made in a hurry by two leads who didn't want to be in it and hated it, and somehow... It became the first Oscar grand slam (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay - only One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Silence of the Lambs have repeated this). Often called the first screwball comedy. Clark Gable's performance here also inspired the character of Bugs Bunny.

What a coincidence. This was also the movie I was about to post. 

I think I prefer a number of other Capra films personally; this comparatively feels like a prototype. I loved it, but it to me lacks some of the manic charm of Mr Deeds Goes to Town or You Can't Take It With You. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:17am

Made in a hurry by two leads who didn't want to be in it and hated it, and somehow... It became the first Oscar grand slam (Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay - only One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Silence of the Lambs have repeated this). Often called the first screwball comedy. Clark Gable's performance here also inspired the character of Bugs Bunny.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 2:59am

A movie about racism and intolerance, with a really good murder mystery tied in with it. It had me puzzled right up to the end, and even Sidney Poitier's character had been looking in the wrong place. This still looks really good, and is supposedly the first film specifically lit for dark skinned actors.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:08pm

Three poorly matched misfits get sent to the slammer, two of them on stitch-ups. They later escape. The film isn't really 'about' any of that, and more their interactions with each other. It's minimalist in many ways, with a lot of slow and static camera work, but the black and white cinematography is gorgeous and it all just works. I'd honestly stick it on my list of go to comfort films. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:35am

Brilliant slice of life drama from Taiwan, the final film of director Edward Yang, but my first seen of his. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:30am

A bit melodramatic, but a great movie nonetheless. Roddy McDowall in his first movie role as Huw Morgan. Some wonderful singing, but curiously there was only one genuine Welshman in the entire cast.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:20pm

Italian satire in which a top police officer commits murder. Very strong film, about as close to top notch as I'm ever willing to say on the first watch. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:53am

Brilliant. Surely one of the best with Jack Nicholson. 

I went back and forth on whether to get this one or not, unsure if it was really me, but it turned out to be a punt that paid off. An incredible 1950s technicolour drama with southern gothic aesthetic. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 257>
  Share Topic