MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Death Metal Kill Zone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 35>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:28pm
Alright I was trollin� a bitLOL. But to be honest I seldom watch videos/movies or television for that matter. It happens of course but not often.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Alright I was trollin� a bitLOL. But to be honest I seldom watch videos/movies or television for that matter. It happens of course but not often.

You bastard LOL . . .

I think for all, its easy as reading the articles at the Links I provided, and watching the Trailer, as
I'm sure you'll see that Sam is passionate about all Metal as well as Extreme Metal.  Sure he is
missing out on many bands but that can always be remedied by letting him know at the FB page.

If you think he needs to "improve" his insights on genres of Metal, let him know, just dont be a
"Metal Asshole" about it Tongue Wink.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Brutality.

Oh! and sorry all have to see that Pic of "Quiet Riot" on that Vid Dead If anything it will make you all
more angry and want to wash it away with your brutal selections (Try Malevolent Creation).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 27 Sep 2012 at 11:48pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 3:03am
^Well I�ve been listening to this one lately, so you�re right on spot:
MALEVOLENT CREATION - In Cold Blood cover
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 10:07am
Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is a fantastic documentary. I haven't seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, but it looks awful.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 12:03pm
I recommend "Global Metal", as its the strongest about the Metal scene, but he misses out on the band that
put Japan on the map, and thats "Loudness" (as well as Bow Wow, Eartshaker and Death Metal/Grindcore
band S.O.B.).
He's not perfect, but he's trying to feature just about every genre of Metal possible and in a professional
manner, so do look at his Post and Interview about Extreme Metal and see where his mind is at (at my 1st
posting).
\m/
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:49pm
Feel the awesome brutality of Krisiun:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 1:08am
Yeah that album is really strong.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 9:30pm

"I AM A GOD.
THE PRIME BEING.
I SHALL IMPALE YOU ON THE CRUMBLED PILLARS OF THE MILLENIA."

That section sent shivers down my spine.  There needs to be a very powerful villain in a video game who uses that line with absolutely no background music for extra effect when he says it like they have it in this part of the song.
corascene_dog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corascene_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 6:24pm
I feel bad now,  I have a very entry-level idea of death metal.  What would some good albums to indoctrinate me into death metal?
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 7:26pm
You can't go wrong with the top list in the death metal section on MMA.  Most of those are classics.  Unfortunately it's currently lacking in old school Swedish bands (Grave, Entombed, Vomitory, etc.), which was a very important scene in the early '90s.  You might want to listen to early Sepultura and the two Possessed albums just to get an idea of where the stuff came from.  Of course there are a lot of branches of death metal nowadays (which you'll probably hear people talking a lot about on here-the really technical stuff like Obscura, Augury, etc.) but I consider most of the genre's gems to be from the back end of its history.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corascene_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 7:29pm
I'll check the death metal section out.  The only swedish death metal I've really heard is Melodeath  and Entombed. I'll check out Possessed, but I really really don't like Sepultura.  Mostly I'm familiar with the more proggy death metal such as later Death and Opeth.  I also like The Faceless.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 8:27pm
I have a big list of personal favorites.  A lot of them are notable acts though a few less so.  http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=243330&show=50&start=50
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by corascene_dog corascene_dog wrote:

I'll check the death metal section out.  The only swedish death metal I've really heard is Melodeath  and Entombed. I'll check out Possessed, but I really really don't like Sepultura.  Mostly I'm familiar with the more proggy death metal such as later Death and Opeth.  I also like The Faceless.

As far Sepultura . . .

I wonder if its the newer stuff you've heard (?)
Try:

1. Beneath the Remains
2. Arise
3. Chaos A.D.

All with original line-up.

These are imo the best of them, 1 and 2 I can remember being considered "Death Metal" and
then much later being rolled-up in the "Thrash" category, so that gives you a sense what the
music is like.  But these 3 are technical in their own right.  Igor Cavelera was known as one of
the most technical drummers at those times as well.

I'm a HUGE Opeth fan, and Faceless I need to get more albums.

Recommends for various degrees of Death Metal:
- Carcass (from Necroticism-Descanting the Insalubrious to Swan Song)
- Death (Spiritual Healing to Sound of Perseverance are my fave period)
- Malevolent Creation (earlier material is highly recommended)
- Entombed (their debut "Left Hand Path" is a classic, stick with their earlier works)
- Obituary
- Morbid Angel (I prefer their "middle" period on)
- Sentenced (their 1st 3; Shadows of the Past to Amok) this is before they changed their sound.
They were one of the bands to put Finland on the map for extreme music.
- Napalm Death (So damn heavy next to Carcass, you can start at their post-Punk/Grindcore
days, or the more melodic yet BRUTAL era, and then come full-circle to the combinations of the
later years!).

As far as the Technical side of Death Metal (which is my fave):
- See Death again (Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic and Sounds of Perseverance). 
Chuck Schuldiner changed the path for all Death Metal to come.
- Atheist (especially A Questionable Presence)
- Decapitated
- Meshuggah (Destroy Erase Improve is a great start) They are a technical wonder, but not in a
Cynic or Spiral Architect sense, as they have said in many Interviews, they are about a "Groove"
but most of it is in 4/4 but its what they do IN 4/4 is what makes them technical.
- Edge of Sanity (try "Crimson" to start you off, probably the 1st Death Metal act to do a "Concept
Album". Also features Mikael Akerfeldt on "Cookie" vocals and Guitar).
- Cynic
- Dynahead
- Scar Symmetry
- Gorod
- Necrophagist
- Obscura
- Augury
- Sectu
- Nile

You can also checkout my Playlist at YOUtube called "Origins of Math" . . .
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE9E94C150EA5E99&feature=mh_lolz

Hope you find some cool stuff to start you on your path Big smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 11 Oct 2012 at 3:07am

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 2:07am
As always you guys are full of great recommendations. I�d like to recommend a couple of German acts which I find highly recommendable.

Atrocity. These days they are mostly known to be an industrial tinged goth metal act, but the first two albums (espeically the debut album) are really great death metal with a unique sound.

Morgoth. They are a personal favorite of mine. Most people swear to the "Cursed" album, which is indeed a great album, but I can highly recommend "Odium" which is a very original sounding death metal release.

Incubator. Progressive death metal. Their first two albums are really great material. Especially this one:
INCUBATOR - McGillroy The Housefly cover

(both are really rare these days though and you�ll have to pay quite a substantial amount of money on amazon to get a used copy)

Edited by UMUR - 11 Oct 2012 at 2:13am
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 2:52am
No arguments from me about Artocity, especially THIS album . . .

Another great one from Blut:

And from a great "Come Back" . . .

Headbanger

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corascene_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 12:04pm
To me The Faceless feels in a way like a continuation of Death's later albums, especially Human and Symbolic.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corascene_dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

As far Sepultura . . .

I wonder if its the newer stuff you've heard (?)
Try:

1. Beneath the Remains
2. Arise
3. Chaos A.D.

All with original line-up.

These are imo the best of them, 1 and 2 I can remember being considered "Death Metal" and
then much later being rolled-up in the "Thrash" category, so that gives you a sense what the
music is like.  But these 3 are technical in their own right.  Igor Cavelera was known as one of
the most technical drummers at those times as well.

I'll give those albums a shot with an open mind.  I think mainly Roots Bloody Roots was what I had to go on with Sepultura, maybe these will change my mind.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 3:36pm
Roots is waaaay off base from their earliest works.  Those are great recommendations (and IMO, the prime of Sepultura's career), but death metal-wise I would say try Morbid Visions and Schizophrenia.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 3:37pm
I�d wait with Chaos A.D. until you�ve listened to Beneath the Remains and Arise, if you�re not too happy about Roots.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 12:24am
Agree Diogenes and UMUR Wink.

To me The Faceless feels in a way like a continuation of Death's later albums, especially Human and Symbolic.

I think 2 Bands that exemplify a continuation and progression of what Death did in the later era is
Obscura and Necrophagist . . .

:guitarbang2:

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 12 Oct 2012 at 12:31am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 35>
  Share Topic