Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Blog #2: 2015 Ones You May Have Missed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adam's Blog #2: 2015 Ones You May Have Missed
    Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:27pm
First off, yes, I changed the name of my MMA blog from Adam's Observations to the much more simple and boring Adam's Blog. It takes up less title space. Blame whoever made Web Wiz Forums.

So, the MMA Collabs Top Albums of 2015 was added up and presented on the first of this month by yours truly and it was the actual result despite the temptation to pull an April Fool's on you. Wink

When you have a list that is put together by many people (this year's list was done by 18 voters), you're bound to have a few of your personal picks miss out on making the cut. This year overall was a good showing for me, with the #1 corresponding with my pick for the very first time since I've been on MMA, but a few of my favourites from 2015 sadly didn't make the cut. So I now present my top five Ones You May Have Missed for 2015. Feel free to send me some recommendations back as well.

Rebellion  - Wyrd Bið Ful Aræd – The History of the Saxons

Rebellion are one of my favourite bands so their albums usually end up getting included pretty high on my submission to the Collab's Album of the Year vote. As much as I love them though, it's rare to see someone else include Rebellion's releases when they've done one. I think that's a shame, as these heavy/power metallers always produce high quality metal. The term power metal with balls was never more appropriate. The album was ranked at joint #52.

Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth

While I did not enjoy Sleep at the Edge of the Earth quite as much as Wilderun's 2012 debut Olden Tales & Deathly Trails, it was still to my ears the best progressive metal album of 2015. Wilderun is more of a folk metal band of course, a genre which had a 0% showing in the MMA top 35 (the album ranked at #41). It's clear that this is a genre that needs more love on MMA. 

Vänlade - Rage of the Gods

US Power Metal seems to be an oft overlooked niche of metal, so I couldn't claim surprise when Vänlade's second album Rage of the Gods wasn't voted for by many people. But their sound that crosses all of US power, speed, thrash and traditional metal should appeal to a wide range of tastes, so for that alone, a place on this list. Also, this is a killer album.

Royal Thunder - Crooked Doors

Here's a confession: I often tend to overlook new hard rock releases in favour of metal releases, but in 2015 I actually found two really quite outstanding hard rock albums. Unfortunately neither made the cut for the top 35 and the genre had a poor showing overall except for Clutch, which is surprising as hard rock is usually quite well regarded around here. This one is I think the better of the two hard rock albums. Also the cover is amazing. The other hard rock album was coincidentally The Vintage Caravan's Arrival. 

Mesarthim - Isolate

While I was pleasantly surprised by the good showing for black metal in the top 35 with eight releases, poor Mesarthim did not make it. This enigmatic duo play cosmic black metal in a truly majestic way. 

What albums did you feel were most overlooked in the Collab's Top Albums of 2015?
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 3:13pm
One of the most interesting things about these albums of the year lists is there's always a few you missed to explore and i usually end up finding at least a couple of really good ones. From your 5 that missed I also had Royal Thunder on my list - a great album and Mlny Parsons is a fantastic singer.

A few I rated highly that missed the top 35....

Jess And The Ancient Ones made a great follow up to their 2012 debut. One of the best of the current wave of retro occult rock bands.

My favourite doom album of 2015 not including Avatarium who seem to be moving away from their doom roots.

Surprised this amazing slab of tech death didn't attract more attention which made no 8 on my list.

Sulphur Aeon's 2nd album was another great death metal record. Very dark and dense.

The ever reliable Unleashed released one of their best albums in a career littered with great death metal albums.

Edited by Nightfly - 04 Apr 2016 at 3:25pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 5:16pm
I got in one listen to the new Jess and the Ancient Ones before the deadline. I enjoyed it but it didn't instantly blow me away enough to make my list. Always seems to be the case with them for me. I always feel as if I should like them more.

As for Sulphur Aeon, well, I can't believe I forget to check that one out at all. I liked their debut a lot. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:24pm
That Vanlade albums is great, and I still need to get to listening to that Royal Thunder album as I love their debut.

I'm not sure if you'd like any of these, but here's a few of my favorites that didn't make it:

Yet another amazing album from the underrated masters of melancholic metal, 10 Years, which might actually be my favorite of theirs.

I simply can't put a label on this album as it simply encompasses several styles of metal and then some. It's certainly for people with an eclectic taste in metal.

While Buckethead may make too much music for his own good, when he does hit he really hits. Surprisingly, Twisted Branches was the best thrash metal album I heard of 2015.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 5:24am
That Mercy Brown album does look interesting. It's another one that was on my catch up list that never got listened to. 
GG2U

666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 5:35am
Carach Angren:

This album seems to have had quite a negative reaction (though all the ratings we have here are positive) that I just don't get.

Satan:

This NWoBHM era band deserves more recognition IMO.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I got in one listen to the new Jess and the Ancient Ones before the deadline. I enjoyed it but it didn't instantly blow me away enough to make my list. Always seems to be the case with them for me. I always feel as if I should like them more.

As for Sulphur Aeon, well, I can't believe I forget to check that one out at all. I liked their debut a lot. 

The Sulphur Aeon album's great, better than the debut IMO. Problem these days is music is so accessible giving so much choice, it's an impossibility to listen to everything. There's tons of stuff I'd like to hear but simply don't have the time.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Carach Angren:

This album seems to have had quite a negative reaction (though all the ratings we have here are positive) that I just don't get.

That's a great album. It was in my top 30 but got edged out by a late addition. I think there was so many great albums released last year it was a struggle to decide what to leave out.

Edited by Nightfly - 05 Apr 2016 at 11:00am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 11:52am
Carach Angren made my list. Satan did for a time but eventually got edged out. I need to check out that band's other stuff though. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image