MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Metal Up Your Ass and all that Jazz Room V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 328>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 6:52pm
^Now that's just uncalled for! People need to grow up.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Sounds like UK has it bad! I'm not sure how bad it is in my area(I live in Effort, Pennsylvania) but I'm a hermit and my family's responsible so I'm not too worried. It helps that it's a bit rural out here!

We have a new mutated strain running rampant that's about 70% more contagious. We've also had a couple of cases of the South African mutant strain which hopefully have all been caught. 

My county alone has over 12000 cases on the week shown on our Covid map.

It's very alarming how fast things have changed. 

But the real danger is people. 

As we are Tier 4 but until tomorrow some nearby parts of Essex are still Tier 2, people were flouting the rules right up until yesterday leaving my town against the rules and going shopping in nearby Colchester, or so I've seen reports. 

It's all just self, self, self with the British and so the virus continues to spread out of control.

My Aunt runs a farm shop and is sick of people trying to break the rules. It's a small place so she limits the amount of people she lets in and even after all these months still gets people knocking on the windows thinking they'll be made an exception for or getting abusive. It makes me mad. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:02pm
Sounds like UK has it bad! I'm not sure how bad it is in my area(I live in Effort, Pennsylvania) but I'm a hermit and my family's responsible so I'm not too worried. It helps that it's a bit rural out here!
Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:32am
Probably true. If restrictions had been firmer and better enforced. If borders had been closed when the virus was raging in France and Spain and thousands of flights from those countries were landing daily. If we had one joined up collective message from the UK authorities rather than the devolved governments acting like their own little fiefdoms. Lots of ifs. We seem to be losing the fight at the moment.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:03am
UK government says the public have a responsibility to help control new Covid variants (looks like we also have the South African mutation on our shores Angry ). Oh boy, like the masses will listen now. I think people are basically running around like headless chickens out there every time the government says to do or not do something. 

I'm really fucking worried to be honest and mainly about people's continual inability to do the right thing. I feel like we could have crushed this horrible virus over the summer if people had just behaved better and the government had knuckled down on restrictions. 
GG2U

Bosh66 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Sludge, MC, HC, Post-Metal & Noise Rock

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosh66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:38pm
Those mates of your brother were out of order, but lads do stupid things. They’re not always the most emotionally intelligent section of the population 😉 I’m just glad you all seem to be out of any immediate danger- it’ll be just another family story to recount in years to come once you’re through this . Stay safe everyone.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

Thanks all for the well wishes. I think everyone is slightly improved today and we may yet get a reasonable Christmas day.

And that's good advice Nicole. Unfortunately it's not that easy. We had a rather heated argument last night, my brother and I. I actually thought my Dad was going to get out of bed and knock both our heads together. We were fighting because he admitted to me why he went out to that gathering: he was told that the girl he liked was there and some other guy kept texting him about all the things he was going to do to her when they hooked up while my brother stayed at home like a 'good little boy'. Goading him in other words.

I can understand him here to be honest with you all. He snapped and went out. This was his breaking point. But I was angry with him because that girl wasn't even there. Never was. Just a bunch of prats who didn't give a shit about the pandemic who thought it was hilarious to do that to my brother, knowing full well how much he liked this girl. But the reason my brother and I started fighting was that at that point he should have just left. He didn't. He bowed to their peer pressure and stayed. You know the result.

Did I overreact to this do you think? We've all been on edge not knowing what's going to happen. Sometimes you just want to scream. To want the nightmare to be over. To take it out on someone.

I'm optomistic about the vaccine rollout but they can only move so fast and the spread here is so bad now that the whole country's situation inevitably has to get worse before it gets better and I am really concerned about what further damage Christmas day mixing is going to do to those in lower tiers. I really do think we need to at this point say sod the ecomony, put the whole country on permenant lockdown and get everyone vaccinated. Then maybe we can get our ecomony revived from a position of strength.

No, you didn't overreacted Ashley. But your brother has learned a very valuable life lesson and fortunately it does sound like you're all going to be okay. Trust me, it is very important that you don't fall out over this. If you need someone to really blame, blame the waste of oxygen who decided it was okay to go out while waiting for a Covid test result. 

Let me tell you something: when I was growing up, I made friends easier with boys. I was the only girl in a group of six. As we become teens, I soon noticed that the guys had a sort of code. If they knew one of them really liked a particular girl, not just general agreement on who they thought was hot, then that girl was off limits to the rest of them, even if she rejected the one. Now, I can imagine the potential for some real dramatic fallout for reasons of 'things just happen' with such an agreement between close mates (which luckily for our group they avoided and we're all still friends to this day), but one thing they wouldn't do is send texts like you describe (not that we had that ability then). Good mates may fool around and rag on each other, but they absolutely wouldn't do what you describe here. Clearly their only goal was to see if they could get your brother to break the rules. Unfortunately they succeeded. 

My advice to your brother is to drop them. This one lapse aside, you do give the impression that he was doing well with keeping to the rules. So he is probably a mostly responsible young man. He doesn't need people like this to drag him down. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:00pm

Thanks all for the well wishes. I think everyone is slightly improved today and we may yet get a reasonable Christmas day.

And that's good advice Nicole. Unfortunately it's not that easy. We had a rather heated argument last night, my brother and I. I actually thought my Dad was going to get out of bed and knock both our heads together. We were fighting because he admitted to me why he went out to that gathering: he was told that the girl he liked was there and some other guy kept texting him about all the things he was going to do to her when they hooked up while my brother stayed at home like a 'good little boy'. Goading him in other words.

I can understand him here to be honest with you all. He snapped and went out. This was his breaking point. But I was angry with him because that girl wasn't even there. Never was. Just a bunch of prats who didn't give a shit about the pandemic who thought it was hilarious to do that to my brother, knowing full well how much he liked this girl. But the reason my brother and I started fighting was that at that point he should have just left. He didn't. He bowed to their peer pressure and stayed. You know the result.

Did I overreact to this do you think? We've all been on edge not knowing what's going to happen. Sometimes you just want to scream. To want the nightmare to be over. To take it out on someone.

I'm optomistic about the vaccine rollout but they can only move so fast and the spread here is so bad now that the whole country's situation inevitably has to get worse before it gets better and I am really concerned about what further damage Christmas day mixing is going to do to those in lower tiers. I really do think we need to at this point say sod the ecomony, put the whole country on permenant lockdown and get everyone vaccinated. Then maybe we can get our ecomony revived from a position of strength.

I don't think you overreacted. I don't suppose your parents thought much of it either. It sounds like when he should have been angry with them he just caved to their peer pressure (never underestimate how powerful that can be especially among late teen boys/young men, which I presume are his age group given events as you've described them)...it's sad you all got the virus through this but they will also be feeling some karma. The whole lot of them may have it now. 

Edited by adg211288 - 22 Dec 2020 at 2:53pm
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:36am
I´m burying myself in music and movies, which is a great escape from pandemic reality. People around me are depressed, sad, and frustrated, which has hit me once or twice too since March 2020, but I try and stay positive and as I´m lucky enough that my hobies can be done in isolation, I´m probably not as affected as a lot of other people. I miss going to the stadium and watching a football game and going to gigs, but that´s about it.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 10:27am
I don't think you overreacted. If it had been one of my brothers I think there would have been actual bodily harm committed.

Your brother is being a dick. If the girl liked him back, she wouldn't be doing shit with other guys anyway, and if she does, she's not worth the effort.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:48am

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 1:06am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I wonder how much Macron's 48 hour border closure has to do with Brexit and the fact he wants our fishing rights. 

Bloody Brexit couldn't be coming at a worse time.

I hope the Leave crowd are happy now. 

I can understand Macron wanting to stop the new strain getting into his country (but it's already in Europe) and I've thought all along that travel except for freight should have been stopped all year, but even a 48 hour ban is worrying. Boris may well have to make serious concessions to get everything moving again. If that's Macron's intent. If it is he'll go down in history as the man who blackmailed the UK in a time of crisis. 
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:58am

Count yourselves all lucky you're not down with it for Christmas.

We are. Everyone in my immediate family.

I am the 'lucky one' as I am currently without any symptoms.

My parents have spent the last two days in bed. Fortunately it doesn't look like their cases will progress to having to go to hospital, but we are taking it one day at a time.

This is all down to my bloody brother sneaking out of the house to attend an illegal get together, for which some arsehole who was waiting for a Covid test result decided to attend anyway because he 'wasn't sick'. We've all been being careful all year despite all feeling the desire at one point or another to throw caution to the wind.

He gave it to my brother (and who knows how many more), who proceeded to give it to the whole household. My brother has very mild symptoms.

He knows he is in the fucking doghouse.

I am basically in charge of the house right now but not allowed out and am relying on the kindness of neighbours to drop things off we need on the doorstep.

We are in Tier 4 so we could well be infected with the new strain.

So sorry to hear this Ashley. Unfortunately this echoes other stories I've heard. One rash decision is all it takes. 

Just remember that as angry as you all must be at your brother, that this is something that's going to weigh heavily on him and will be a crucial learning experience for him. So stray strong and try to forgive him. Family is even more important now than ever. Even when they do something stupid. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:05am
I wonder how much Macron's 48 hour border closure has to do with Brexit and the fact he wants our fishing rights. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 5:40pm
Sorry to hear that Ashley. 

And my thoughts are with all of you having to deal with COVID this Christmas. I've never been so grateful to live in New Zealand. So often I have cursed it for being so backward and boring and far from the rest of the world, but this year it's been such a blessing. Any minor inconvenience we have encountered is nothing compared to what the rest of you have had to endure. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm
That's terrible Ashley. Shocked

Please keep checking in here so we know you're okay. While none of us know each other in real life I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks about our community during this difficult time and hope everyone is managing.

And I agree Paul, national lockdown is needed more than ever and not one they just switch off again. This new more contagious strain of Covid may not have taken hold of so much of the country so fast if Lockdown 2.0 hadn't been set back to tiers at the start of the month. 

Unfortunately everything is going to get worse as France has just blocked all freight going in and out of the UK, which could leave us with food and vaccine shortage. 
GG2U

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
Sorry to hear that Ashley, hope you're all okay. Bet you feel like murdering your Brother at the moment. Just goes to show how easy this can take hold. I think we need a national lockdown now, not fucking around with Tiers.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by 666sharon666 666sharon666 wrote:

Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

It depends on if this new strain can be contained I think. That's the big worry. It's supposed to be at least 50% more contagious than what we've been facing all year. 

Given behaviour of Londoners last night fleeing the capital I suspect it's all the way across the country by now. 

I understand the need for saying not to cross the tier border but it doesn't help my family's situation with all our Christmas food all booked to pick up tomorrow about a 20 minute drive from home and not actually going into any shops. 

How is collecting food not on the list of essential exemptions for travel outside of Tier 4? But you can mix with another household if they're already in your existing bubble? I can guarantee that going to a Tesco click and collect will pose less risk of cross border spread than someone going to work outside of Tier 4 all day. 

Our government are as mental and hair-brained as always, but this is the first time they've directly threatened the personal safety of my family. With the new strain in our area this is the most critical time of the whole pandemic so far for us, and it's feeling like after following the rules this whole time that we've suddenly been thrown under the bus. 

I'd just go and get your order Adam. Groceries are essential after all. 

Short of them putting a road block in every way in and out of tier 4 what are they going to do?

Even if you were stopped by the police, I can't see anyone with even half a brain not realising that you're taking precautions and it is safer to do what you're doing. 

Personally I think they need to immediately roll out mass testing in areas they think this new strain is in. Or maybe prioritise getting the vaccine to everyone in those areas and seeing what happens. We don't even know if it works on the new version yet or even how effective on the previous it is going to be en masse. 

Too many unknowns and it's really giving me a headache. 

I still believe I had the fucking thing in the early days when they weren't well organised and it wasn't easy to get a test booked (I never was tested, I only base my belief on it by how ill I was: definitely not just the flu or a cold like some people still seem to think). But I'm still worried sick for my family. My Dad is getting on now and my grandmother is still around too having survived this so far under the care of my aunt, who had walking on eggshells.

Count yourselves all lucky you're not down with it for Christmas.

We are. Everyone in my immediate family.

I am the 'lucky one' as I am currently without any symptoms.

My parents have spent the last two days in bed. Fortunately it doesn't look like their cases will progress to having to go to hospital, but we are taking it one day at a time.

This is all down to my bloody brother sneaking out of the house to attend an illegal get together, for which some arsehole who was waiting for a Covid test result decided to attend anyway because he 'wasn't sick'. We've all been being careful all year despite all feeling the desire at one point or another to throw caution to the wind.

He gave it to my brother (and who knows how many more), who proceeded to give it to the whole household. My brother has very mild symptoms.

He knows he is in the fucking doghouse.

I am basically in charge of the house right now but not allowed out and am relying on the kindness of neighbours to drop things off we need on the doorstep.

We are in Tier 4 so we could well be infected with the new strain.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

So I've got a question for you guys: is vinyl REALLY that great? It just seems like a fad to me..

I like it.  It's great for listening with friends (time limit & experience of flipping records, choosing what to listen to next, can't skip songs like an ADHD child) and your hardware can color the tone in a way that digital has no real equivalent.  Even the blemishes and scratches sound good.

I wouldn't call it a fad, I use my dad's record player from the 70s and many many bands have been putting out new albums on vinyl consistently for over a decade now.  Most new vinyl is a heavier print so the bass can be deeper and they sound phenomenal on a nice stereo

Most current receivers don't have the required eq-balanced input for a record player though, I had to get an external preamp

n.b. I buy most of my music digitally still

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 20 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 666sharon666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

It depends on if this new strain can be contained I think. That's the big worry. It's supposed to be at least 50% more contagious than what we've been facing all year. 

Given behaviour of Londoners last night fleeing the capital I suspect it's all the way across the country by now. 

I understand the need for saying not to cross the tier border but it doesn't help my family's situation with all our Christmas food all booked to pick up tomorrow about a 20 minute drive from home and not actually going into any shops. 

How is collecting food not on the list of essential exemptions for travel outside of Tier 4? But you can mix with another household if they're already in your existing bubble? I can guarantee that going to a Tesco click and collect will pose less risk of cross border spread than someone going to work outside of Tier 4 all day. 

Our government are as mental and hair-brained as always, but this is the first time they've directly threatened the personal safety of my family. With the new strain in our area this is the most critical time of the whole pandemic so far for us, and it's feeling like after following the rules this whole time that we've suddenly been thrown under the bus. 

I'd just go and get your order Adam. Groceries are essential after all. 

Short of them putting a road block in every way in and out of tier 4 what are they going to do?

Even if you were stopped by the police, I can't see anyone with even half a brain not realising that you're taking precautions and it is safer to do what you're doing. 

Personally I think they need to immediately roll out mass testing in areas they think this new strain is in. Or maybe prioritise getting the vaccine to everyone in those areas and seeing what happens. We don't even know if it works on the new version yet or even how effective on the previous it is going to be en masse. 

Too many unknowns and it's really giving me a headache. 

I still believe I had the fucking thing in the early days when they weren't well organised and it wasn't easy to get a test booked (I never was tested, I only base my belief on it by how ill I was: definitely not just the flu or a cold like some people still seem to think). But I'm still worried sick for my family. My Dad is getting on now and my grandmother is still around too having survived this so far under the care of my aunt, who had walking on eggshells.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 328>
  Share Topic