Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Video/PC Game Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 94>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:38am
These are awesome:

The Toxic Waste level theme from Crash Bandicoot sounds like a lost Pantera song.
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:15am
I'm playing this one now:

Good, not AS hard as people say but tough as hell anyway, especially Dead Ahead level goddammit. The first game was better of course.
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:04pm
Still plugging away at Mass Effect: Andromeda, now 56 hours in, 50% completion and still feeling like I have at least 20-30 hours left before I"m done with the game (I'm not trying to 100% it: Just want to do all the quests I care about and get outposts set up on every planet.) I'd say the game definitely has some flaws, as already mentioned, and loading times can be excessive, but the gameplay is incredibly addictive, combat feels much better than in probably any other Bioware game ever, the open world is generally quite fun and most non fetch quests are great, and I'm just overall having an awesome time with it. The game certainly could have used more time to fix some of the glitches and maybe get the animations looking smoother, but I'm still glad to be playing it as is, and I think I'd take it over any Bioware game since ME2, which I consider the last of their golden age games.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:39am
I'm probably going to buy it as soon as I finish my run through the original trilogy. Still on ME1 as Fallout 4 settlement building called me back (I swear most of my logged hours in this game are just on settlement building/supply runs now). 

Probably going to just get the standard edition though; not seeing much in the deluxe edition extras to justify paying nearly £15 more (PC plays can only get the Deluxe direct through Origin - I'll be buying the cheaper Code in a Box option). 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 11:28am
Just purchased Andromeda due to seeing a good price but I still intend to finish my playthrough of the original trilogy first. I just may be playing the games that bit faster. Tongue
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 11:38am
I finished Andromeda a few days ago, and pretty much loved it, aside from some glitches and excessive loading times (travelling from planet to planet or even system to system can take FOREVER, especially if you do long planet scanning sessions.) I ended up with 85 hours and 96% completion, with the only stuff I didn't do being some boring fetch quests I didn't care about. Loyalty missions are obviously highly recommended, and I can say most non Tasks are generally worth it. Tasks are usually bland, aside from Path of the Hero and a couple other kinda good ones. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:25am
It looks like you made the right call in waiting a bit to play it, Adam: They're putting out an update that apparently lets you speed up animations during planet travel, which was actually my biggest annoyance with the game because it made planet scanning take FOREVER. That will seriously make your playthrough much more enjoyable than it would have been if you had played right away, I think, even if you don't do much scanning, because some late game quests have you going back and forth a lot. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 12:13am
I see that Andromeda is patching on my PC this morning. I'm not ready to play yet though as I'm still on ME2, currently doing Lair of the Shadow Broker. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 7:00am
My replay of the original Mass Effect Trilogy is complete. Andromeda bound next. 

Replaying the trilogy, I actually find myself more dissatisfied with the ending options available than I used to be. Unlike most, I used to be OK with the options but there are so many other options that could have been possible had Bioware thought of them. Just a couple I have in my head would be:

Anderson is the one who actually makes the Crucible fire. This could be available if you can avoid The Illusive Man shooting him, as I managed for this first time in this run. I'm pretty pissed that he just dies anyway, shot or not. 

EDI takes control of the Reapers, with the Normany becoming like a flagship. This could be available if you encouraged human values on EDI throughout the game (which is possible) and she's in your team during the final push. If your EMS is high enough your squad could make it up to the Citadel with you. Thinking about it, this could be possible with any squadmate that makes it, though it would probably be a Renegade choice to send someone who isn't EDI (who is synthetic anyway and could easily gain a replacement humanoid body if desired). 
GG2U

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:55am
Guys help me out -- it's spring break and I need a new game to entice me and make me sit on my ass for days in a row. Any ideas?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Guys help me out -- it's spring break and I need a new game to entice me and make me sit on my ass for days in a row. Any ideas?

What genres do you tend to prefer?
GG2U

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

What genres do you tend to prefer?
Anything. I suppose though I'm inclined to games I can sink alot of hours into, so maybe something open-world with a lot of options? I'm sure whatever you hit me with I can parse something I'd like out of it
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:26pm
Okay, not sure what you may have already played but I can recommend the following series/titles for open world games with a lot of gameplay hours in them. Some would count as 'the obvious' in my view but just to be thorough: 

Elder Scrolls (III: Morrowind, IV: Oblivion & V: Skyrim) - lots of modding potential if you're playing on PC too.

Fallout (3, New Vegas & 4) - like a post-apocalyptic shooter version of the above. 

Borderlands - not 'open' in the sense of the above, but many open, connected areas with a lot to do. 2 is the best game IMO. 

Far Cry 3 - I haven't played any of the other games but I mostly liked this one. 

The Long Dark - survival game with several fairly large open maps and some smaller ones. It is a Early Access title though, however I have managed to clock over 100 hours so far and I haven't even played the most recently added area yet.

Saints Row (I've played 2, 3, 4 and a bit of Gat Out of Hell) - started as a serious crime serious but then turned into over the top comedy. 

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I recommend all three games but only the third is open world. It's also a contender for my favourite game of all time. 

These ones aren't open world but I've thrown a lot of hours into them all the same:

Alien Isolation - great horror title even if you haven't seen the film series.

Bioshock Infinite - fairly linear but I've replayed this one more times than I care to remember.

Deus Ex Human Revolution - still not got into Mankind Divided, but I should make an effort after I exhaust Mass Effect Andromeda. Love this one though and I do recommend the director's cut edition with the DLC integrated. 

Dishonored 1 & 2: Second game has been plagued with (steadily improving) technical problems but I do recommend both, including the two main DLC for the first. 

Mass Effect trilogy: can't pass a judgement on Andromeda just yet but I've played the trilogy I guess four times in all now. 

Metro 2033/Last Light: Pretty good post-apocalyptic FPS set in the Russia metro. Linear but games I've enjoyed replaying a few times over now. 

Tomb Raider 2013/Rise of the Tomb Raider: first TR games I've really got into. 

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully they aren't all games you've tried before. 

GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 2:59pm

I know you already played some of my CD of it several years ago, but have you thought about getting Thief: The Dark Project (Or Thief: Gold as it's called on Steam)? Each level is really long, so that's definitely a game that I can at least get immersed in and spend hours on only one level. 

Edited by Unitron - 16 Apr 2017 at 2:59pm
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 4:09pm
Well, I'm a few hours into Mass Effect Andromeda and these are my first impressions:

Performance: Generally smooth then drops to unplayable FPS for a few seconds for no apparent reason, both during gameplay and cutscenes. Cutscenes can have noticeable audio stutter when this happens, causing words to cut off, breaking immersion. 

Character creator: pretty horrible to be honest. I ended up using the default character (Sara) after spending may have helped if it had let me work off any of the present faces but every time I tried to create a custom character it forced use of the first face on the list every time. I eventually got something that looked okay in the creator but when actually playing didn't look at all natural. That was the point that I gave up and just retstarted with the default appearance. 

Gameplay: seems okay though I keep using the jump jet when intending to sprint due to jump jet being the sprint key in ME3, but the removal of manual save during a main mission feels like a middle finger from the devs. That first mission was pretty long and I get that it does autosave a lot, but I want to be able to stop and start as I when I like. I like the more open nature of the first planet location though. Can't help feeling that's another reason why manual save removal makes no sense though. 

Graphics: undecided to be honest: I thought ME2 and 3 when damn good looking games and I don't see that this enhances what they had too much. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 12:03am
^Yeah, the saving system in that game could be annoying.

Speaking of which, I beat Persona 5, which is easily my favorite PS4 game to date and one of the all time best JRPG's I've ever played, both for its unique mix of dungeon crawling, social elements and improved combat over previous games, as well as a very good story. It has limited saving (as usual for classic style JRPG's) and while it didn't bother me, it does sometimes make you go upwards of 45-60 minutes without being able to save in a dungeon and if you die in a non boss or mini boss fight? You're fucked and have to redo everything. Only happened to me a couple times, though, and I loved the game enough that it never bothered me.

After that one, I've just started another classic style JRPG called Cosmic Star Heroine, which has really good turn-based combat, where you have limited usage of your abilities but you can replenish your uses by blocking, and as you act you gain points on a couple meters that effect your damage, and so there's quite a bit of strategy to it. I'm playing on the second highest setting and it's pretty harsh, but quite fun. It, thankfully, allows you to manually save anywhere you want, except for when you're in a fight, of course.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:31am
Andromeda just really pissed me off: it abruptly forced a dialogue right in the middle of a fight, so my Ryder just stood there getting beaten to death while being unable to do anything about it.

Major design fail.

Also the performance on the game seems to get worse and worse. I'm getting sick of literally every top game being badly made on this score, especially because the game itself is pretty damn good. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:25am
A more humorous bug now: running down a hill towards where I'd parked the Nomad, I suddenly got propelled across a good chunk of the map. I ended up having to use the fast travel rather than run all the way back to the Nomad on foot. 

Also hit a bugged side quest though, but it did sort itself out: during the quest 'Brought to Light' you have to speak to a Turian female after defending her and her companion from Kett, but there was no icon to speak to her after this fight. It only appeared after wandering off and coming back to the area. Quite annoying. 
GG2U

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aglasshouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Okay, not sure what you may have already played but I can recommend the following series/titles for open world games with a lot of gameplay hours in them. Some would count as 'the obvious' in my view but just to be thorough: 

Elder Scrolls (III: Morrowind, IV: Oblivion & V: Skyrim) - lots of modding potential if you're playing on PC too.

Fallout (3, New Vegas & 4) - like a post-apocalyptic shooter version of the above. 

Borderlands - not 'open' in the sense of the above, but many open, connected areas with a lot to do. 2 is the best game IMO. 

Far Cry 3 - I haven't played any of the other games but I mostly liked this one. 

The Long Dark - survival game with several fairly large open maps and some smaller ones. It is a Early Access title though, however I have managed to clock over 100 hours so far and I haven't even played the most recently added area yet.

Saints Row (I've played 2, 3, 4 and a bit of Gat Out of Hell) - started as a serious crime serious but then turned into over the top comedy. 

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I recommend all three games but only the third is open world. It's also a contender for my favourite game of all time. 

These ones aren't open world but I've thrown a lot of hours into them all the same:

Alien Isolation - great horror title even if you haven't seen the film series.

Bioshock Infinite - fairly linear but I've replayed this one more times than I care to remember.

Deus Ex Human Revolution - still not got into Mankind Divided, but I should make an effort after I exhaust Mass Effect Andromeda. Love this one though and I do recommend the director's cut edition with the DLC integrated. 

Dishonored 1 & 2: Second game has been plagued with (steadily improving) technical problems but I do recommend both, including the two main DLC for the first. 

Mass Effect trilogy: can't pass a judgement on Andromeda just yet but I've played the trilogy I guess four times in all now. 

Metro 2033/Last Light: Pretty good post-apocalyptic FPS set in the Russia metro. Linear but games I've enjoyed replaying a few times over now. 

Tomb Raider 2013/Rise of the Tomb Raider: first TR games I've really got into. 

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully they aren't all games you've tried before. 

I think I might go with Fallout because I own all of them (except for 4). Thanks Adam!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:11pm
Okay so I've at about 30 hours into Andromeda now. I've been taking my time and doing as many side quests as possible, so I'm not really too far into the main quest, but I've reached 100% viability on two worlds and have just started the third. Jaal and Peebee have become my core squad for the moment. 

I'm loving the game, though I have hit a few too many game breaking bugs for my liking that required re-loads to get past. And the saving system seems to be getting buggy as hell, randomly being blocked for no reason. Game performance is still ridiculous even with settings turned down, especially on the Tempest. 

One more thing, Remnant Architects are a huge pain in the arse to defeat!
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 94>
  Share Topic