Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 257>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 1:12am

Righting a wrong committed 45 years ago! My cousins got to see The Rescuers, but me and my brothers didn't! I was so envious! Anyway, all fixed now. I do believe 5-year-old me would have appreciated it a lot more than 50-year-old me did. But anyway, it's a Disney movie, so there's anthropomorphic animals, the goodies win, and the baddies get their comeuppance.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 6:47pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:13am
I found it now: It's Witchwood by Blood Ceremony.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

When you hear a bit of dialogue in a movie and say 'hey, that's sampled in that metal song!'

'What metal song was that again?'

What was the sample and what was the song?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 4:18am

Watchable enough, but kinda meh. 

When you hear a bit of dialogue in a movie and say 'hey, that's sampled in that metal song!'

'What metal song was that again?'

Movie wasn't that interesting despite the leads being Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasance. 

Re-watche:

I included this as part of my Batman re-watch run. 

The second viewing has made me realise something about the DCEU: I really do not like this version of The Flash. I don't know if my opinion is just getting influenced by how problematic Miller has become recently, but there's just something about the portrayal of The Flash in this that just makes the character seem kinda gormless. You've got these five other badass characters in the team and then there's The Flash coming across as the comic relief twit. 

Or it may just be that Miller is difficult watch considering everything they've been up to off screen.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 11:27pm

Steven Spielberg's so-called "flop" (it was a modest success, by Spielberg's standards) is a cross between It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Dad's Army. There's some great set piece scenes here just unfortunately buried by a little too much pointless silliness.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 7:52pm

Much meddled with in it's production by people who didn't understand it. It's a good movie, but had the potential to be great.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

^I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Rises once, but I think my main issue with it was that Tom Hardy's Bane voice just didn't sound good, at all. I'm not sure if it's his fault or whatever effects they were using, but his voice grated on my nerves in a hurry (this was in theater, btw, so maybe watching on my laptop it would be different.) The other thing is partially from having wrong expectations, but I saw reviews saying "anything can happen here", so it had me thinking maybe there was a super risky ending..... Yeah, right, LOL 

Aside from that, though, I do remember greatly enjoying it, just not as much as the second movie, but probably at least as much as Batman Begins, if not even a bit more. Heath Ledger's Joker just lifted TDK far above the other two (and any other superhero movies I've seen, tbh.)

I have no idea what Bane is 'supposed' to sound like, but considering the previous live action version of Bane was this grunting dimwit in Batman & Robin:

I'd think Tom Hardy's Bane should be cut some slack. 
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 9:28am
^I've only ever seen The Dark Knight Rises once, but I think my main issue with it was that Tom Hardy's Bane voice just didn't sound good, at all. I'm not sure if it's his fault or whatever effects they were using, but his voice grated on my nerves in a hurry (this was in theater, btw, so maybe watching on my laptop it would be different.) The other thing is partially from having wrong expectations, but I saw reviews saying "anything can happen here", so it had me thinking maybe there was a super risky ending..... Yeah, right, LOL 

Aside from that, though, I do remember greatly enjoying it, just not as much as the second movie, but probably at least as much as Batman Begins, if not even a bit more. Heath Ledger's Joker just lifted TDK far above the other two (and any other superhero movies I've seen, tbh.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 7:12am

I'm pretty sure Heath Ledger will forever be the definitive Joker thanks to this film. 

Never understood why some people who like the first two of the trilogy then proceed to take a massive shit on this one. 

File under: Shit I watched to see if it was a bad as people said it was.
Sub-Category: It was.

The best Predator movie since Arnie went up against one. And I actually like Predator 2 a lot. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Bruce Campbell as Elvis, Ossie Davis as JFK, and an ass-sucking soul stealer. 'Nuff said.

Yeah that´s a pretty crazy movie.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 4:14am

Bruce Campbell as Elvis, Ossie Davis as JFK, and an ass-sucking soul stealer. 'Nuff said.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 5:13am

What if climate change hit the world overnight? The reality of it is very well done for 1961, although the special effects have been criticised. For a 60 year old British film they aren't bad - consider the average Hammer Horror or Quatermas movie.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 1:01am

A bit of a miss from Mel Brooks. This suffers a bit from not having a storyline which follows all the way through. There's plenty of funny moments, but there's a few too many fall flat unfunny parts too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 11:55am

This trilogy could never hold up to The Lord of The Rings, but I still like what they did with it a lot. People like to run them down, but the way people are already going on about the Rings of Power series when it hasn't even debuted, maybe some will come to look back more favourably on these. 

I'm randomly going through Ghibli again. It's been a while since my big in release order re-watch. This one is kinda my go to comfort movie. 

Also re-watching some Hitchcock that I've only seen once. I didn't remember this one too well, and to be honest I get why. It's not among his best. 

The recent same named soft reboot/sequel does not do this justice. 

The shortest Middle-Earth movie even in the extended versions, it's also one that seems a bit better each time I watch it. 

One of the more overtly kiddie Ghibli films, but it's still an absolute pleasure to watch. 

My third time on this one. I've never actually seen the theatrical version: I always just go straight in for the 170 minute long director's cut. 

I'll also be going through the Park Chan-Wook films that I own again. This is probably my favourite outside of the Vengeance Trilogy.

Possibly my favourite Miyazaki movie, but I can never settle on picking one due to the sheer quality of his work. I find this one very re-watchable though and the presentation is suitable for while not necessarily aimed at kids. 

Kim Jee-woon is another Korean director whose films I own I will be going through over the coming weeks. Will likely end up throwing Bong Joon-ho into the Korean re-watches as well. 

For now though, I'm focussing on going through Batman again:

These two hold up to second viewings well. A bit more silly than later Batman movies despite being 15 rated (a trait shared since only with The Batman), but they work well. I wasn't that fussed about Keaton as Batman the first time around, but I liked him more this time. 

The same thing cannot be said for these two. I thought them a bit better than their reputations the first time around but boy do they not hold up. Either that or I was just feeling charitable with my opinions when I watched them before. Forever is okay but I could really do without Jim Carrey, but both suffer from awful acting (considering the talent involved in both films that's unforgivable), are far too corny and in Batman & Robin most of all far too many of the jokes just fall back on unfunny innuendo. Luckily the next Batman movie was this one:

This is the start of the modern, gritty Batman movies that made me a fan of the character. This movie single-handedly saved Batman as a going concern on the big screen. 

And this is finally the point I'm caught up on posting everything I've watched lately. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 7:24am

I always forget just how weird this one is, but it's an experience that seems better every time.

One day recently was what I'm calling a Robert Eggers-a-thon. 

I'd only recently seen The Northman for the first time but was keen to go again and it did not disappoint my expectations of getting even better the second time around.

Probably the best movie about food that most people have never seen.

I love this one. 

Still more to come. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 5:53am

A satisfying end to the trilogy, and my disc for this one doesn't glitch!

Possibly Hitchcock's most underrated movie. 

I'm slowly going through these again with other stuff between them due to length.

This continues to be one I can watch any time.

Back to back viewing. 

More to come.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 5:37am
Apparently it's been 15 days since I posted in this thread. Whoops. This is going to be a long one then. 

I've been mainly on re-watches lately (enjoying my collection instead of it just sitting there) but I have watched these ones for the first time:

The best of these few first time watches. By a lot.

Crap.

Not worthless but I felt it needed some suspension of disbelief. 

I purposefully avoided this very acclaimed film for a long time and finally decided to brave it. It was too soon. While technically an impressive work, especially from Hopkin's acting, my grandmother had dementia and this was too difficult a watch for me. I will never watch it again.

Re-watches to follow later.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 12:41am

Lots of gratuitous nudity and some of the worst blood effects you'll ever see make for a pretty dull Satanic exploitation movie.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 11:25pm

This has had some seriously mixed reviews, but I realy enjoyed it. Especially love the idea of dinosaurs reinhabiting the modern world - totally implausible and scientifically inaccurate, but I still love the idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 257>
  Share Topic