Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 257>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 1:24pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 4:01am

Mostly really funny, but Woody Allen's style of humour gets a little wearing after a while.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 5:21am

Some films are weird and that's what makes them good. Other films are weird and just leave the viewer wondering why the fuck they're even watching this. 

This is one of the other films, despite committed acting performances particularly from Aubrey Plaza. 

This is the kind of film that some will claim to find deep meaning in, but to me it just comes across as a confusing mess. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 5:55pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 6:15pm

Knew nothing about this one. Great movie, even when you take dramatic license into account.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 12:41am

Sometimes held up as his last great film, Limelight finds Chaplin in bittersweet mode, a semi-autobiographical feature that both celebrates his earlier triumphs and laments his decline. Buster Keaton also appears. The biggest missed chance of the film is not bringing The Tramp completely out of retirement even though Chaplin's old hero is recognised in the flashbacks through the billing of his character as the Tramp Comedian. 

Last one of my four film Hammer boxset from Indicator. This one was quite a solid psych horror. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 4:09am

Really not my sort of movie. Still, pretty cool to see a young Jeff Daniels, John Lithgow, and Jack Nicholson all in the same movie. And I can tick off another Best Picture Oscar winner.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 7:57am

Has the makings of a really great crime drama, but it's lacking something. A satisfactory resolution to the story being the main thing. This feels like the second half is missing. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:30am

The strangest damn movie to win a best picture Oscar. It plays like a musical without songs, is family friendly, and has incredible production values (cast, locations, costumes). David Niven is excellent as the unflappable Phileas Fogg, but Cantinflas as Passepartout steals every damn scene he's in! Also has a young Shirley MacLaine as Princess Aouda.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:36am

Quite the charming little French film from the 1930s. As part of the Poetic Realism movement, it has a visual style that precedes Film Noir in the US. And it still looks great in 2022! The film itself is filled with quirks that make it a joy to watch even if the story itself is pretty basic by today's standards. It was the final film of director Jean Vigo before his untimely death at just 29 (and only of a proper feature length). Definitely a talent taken too soon.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 2:39pm

A toss up between really well done suspense and bloody ridiculous fourth wall breaking elements, apparently in the name of satire, but it feels more like an attack on its audience. Maybe I just didn't get it, but it doesn't seem to stand up to its reputation. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 8:51pm

More of a downer than I remembered.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 1:44am

Starts badly but improves as it goes along. Tries to be an epic like Ben Hur or Jason and The Argonauts, but doesn't quite have the budget. The end is pretty cool though.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:05am

A largely forgotten film, despite being the very first entry in the New Hollywood movement. Not without its faults but generally solid and weirder than expected. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 5:19am

Another one that's not my sort of movie. A bit slow moving, but a story told very well and very subtly.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 9:50am

Solid enough, but not a film I'd need to see again. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 4:00pm

Okay, this one is a lot better than I remember it being. I had a really poor first impression of Skyfall that has lasted almost a decade since it came out, but it catapulted itself to be up there with the best Bond's this time. 

Next up will be Spectre which I skipped for years because of how much I originally didn't like this one. 

Holds up to a second viewing really well. This is not a movie that feels 2.5 hours long, even the second go around. Top 2 (maybe even number 1) movie of 2021 for me so far (I'm always on catch up due to never going to the cinema, even pre-pandemic). And top 3 for Ridley Scott after Alien and Blade Runner.
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 9:28pm

Ever think your family is a bit weird? Try this one! A lot of fun with a serious message.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 1:48am

Not a movie I thought I'd like, but I did. I'd love to visit Africa some time, but you know... the lions!
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 5:26am

Another fucking weepy Oscar winner.Stern Smile Very deserving, but fucking depressing! The highlight for me was a very young, almost unrecogniseable Elizabeth McGovern (Downton Abbey).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 219220221222223 257>
  Share Topic