Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 257>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:55pm
Last 10: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-10-movies-adam-saw-for-the-first-time-41

Terror in a Texas Town (1958)
Rififi (1955)
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)
Tenebre (1982)
Deep Red (1975)
Audition (1999)
Bicycle Thieves (1948)
They Came to Cordura (1959)
Howl (2015)
Wake in Fright (1971)
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 5:16pm
My most recent ten first time watches: https://www.listchallenges.com/the-last-10-movies-adam-saw-for-the-first-time-40

The Friends of Eddie Cotle (1973)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
Antichrist (2009)
A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014)
The Number 23 (2007)
The Iron Horse (1924)
Unknown (2011)

A fairly mixed bunch here. The two 70's movies were both excellent and I think I'm firmly in the camp of preferring that Body Snatchers. I did enjoy the 50s one as well though. Nightmare Alley is a great and very dark noir. The two Liam Neeson thrillers were both good, though I'd worked out the plot twist in Unknown quite a bit before it actually happened. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover is a pretty weird black comedy, while I'm still not sure what I watched in that Antichrist. Holy shit some of the things the woman does in that make Kathy Bates in Misery look like Florence Nightingale. Shocked Out of the rest Dog Soldiers was an entertaining enough werewolf movie, while The Number 23 started intriguing but gradually lost me. The Iron Horse was my first taste of a silent western and ultimately quite enjoyable, though maybe overlong. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I enjoyed this one a lot. Definitely not another average slasher horror teenage movie:

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

Yeah it's a pretty weird movie and not what you'd expect at all. I've only watched it the once but it's left a lasting impression.

The director's new film Bad Times at the El Royale is also very good, though obviously a completely different beast to this. I've already watched it twice. It's probably my favourite 2018 movie actually. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 10:53am
I enjoyed this one a lot. Definitely not another average slasher horror teenage movie:

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:59am
I'm well behind on this again even though my intake of new movies has slowed since I hit 1500 total movies seen. This is my most recently posted Last 10 List Challenge, if you want to see posters. 

If you don't want use LC, the last full ten were:

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)
Angel and the Badman (1947)
Stoker (2013)
Wise Blood (1979)
Hummingbird (2013)
Kill Katie Malone (2010)
Faust (1926)
Heathers (1988)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Day of Anger (1967)

Of these the two horror movies (Haunting and Katie Malone) were both pretty poor. I also wasn't too impressed by the John Wayne western Angel and the Badman - much more of a romance tale than his usual westerns. A weaker entry in his filmography IMO. I enjoyed the rest a lot, especially Day of Anger which is a Lee Van Cleef western that easily stands up to those of The Man With No Name films. I was a little dubious going into Heathers knowing it's 'teen movie' status (a genre that at 30 I try to avoid) but it's black comedy wins through IMO. Stoker by Park Chan-Wook (of Oldboy fame) was also a gem. 

I've seen more since these, plus re-watches, but I'll post with every ten from now on I think. 

Edited by adg211288 - 06 Jul 2019 at 10:00am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm
^ I thought more if GLaDOS (from the Portal games) had legs.

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Nice post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I was pleasantly surprised:
Hilary Swank and Clara Rugaard in I Am Mother (2019)

That robot looks like Chappie without the ears.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
Nice post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I was pleasantly surprised:
Hilary Swank and Clara Rugaard in I Am Mother (2019)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:21am
I liked the first part of the movie, right until the hero freed the heroine. It went South from there:

Clara Lago and Álex González in Órbita 9 (2017)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Never seen it before, believe it or not. It proved an elusive one to find on DVD. Finally popped up on Netflix recently. Hoping they add the second one too soon. 

It probably felt a little "old" watching it the first time now, but I can assure you that watching this as a child in the eighties, was a pretty scary experience. It´s only as an adult I was able to fully grasp the time travelling concept and the scale of the impending apocalypse. I love this one. The sequel is great too, although they´ve turned the comedic element up a bit, which can be slightly annoying. I recommend staying away from the VERY long director´s cut, which is filled with unnessary scenes. The cinematic version is perfect as it is.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Crap.

Yeah another King story ruined on film. Out of the many, many stories of his which have been made into eitehr movies or TV-shows, only a small handful are worth watching.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 3:11pm

Dumb but fun comedy. 

The poster makes this movie appear like it's going to be psychedelic or something. It's not. A very slow post-apocalyptic drama that in no way reflects the poster above. It has Peter Dinklage though, so there's that at least. Not recommended though. 

It feels like they were attempting something in the same vein as The Shape of Water, but with much less success. 

The 1940's version is a top tier noir movie. This one actually is too. It changes a lot of details from the first one (which expanded greatly on the original short story) but the basic theme is the same. Both are worthwhile.

Good psychological crime drama. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 6:14am

Never seen it before, believe it or not. It proved an elusive one to find on DVD. Finally popped up on Netflix recently. Hoping they add the second one too soon. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:58am

Crap.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 12:57pm

I liked this one. I've not seen any of the other versions of the story. 

Surprisingly noir-like western. Has a narration, a femme-fatale who leads one of the main characters astray and everything. 

Also started my re-watch plans with a revisit of Blade Runner (final cut) and Bad Times at the El Royale. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 3:12pm
Ten days behind on this again. Just going to list them.

Killer Elite (2011) - pretty solid.
The Old Man & The Gun (2018) - not as comedic as advertised, but a solid movie.
The Longest Day (1962) - great black and white war epic.
The Great Escape (1963) - great film but found the image quality really shitty. Seen better quality colour movies from the 40s.
Bandolero! (1968) - great western. More gritty than most James Stewart titles.
I Am Mother (2019) - Very solid Netflix sci-fi.
The Endless (2018) - I went back and forth a bit on being sold on it, but ultimately liked this one.
Down a Dark Hall (2018) - not as bad as it's made out to be by some. Not that great either. Just OK.
Uninhabited (2010) - Poor.
Free State of Jones (2016) - Excellent Civil War drama.
Into the Forest (2016) - Pretty solid stuff.
American Psycho (2000) - Can't believe I'd not seen this one before really. Disturbing yet very funny film.
Suicide Squad (2016) - Got bored after a while to be honest. 
Only Angels Have Wings (1939) - Great Howard Hawks movie. 
The Man Who Would Be King (1975) - Excellent John Huston movie. Never realised how good Michael Caine is at comedy.
Under Capricorn (1949) - Very different kind of movie for Hitchcock. Found it better than it's reputation.
Cube (1997) - a slow burn but enjoyed it in the end.
A Simple Favour (2018) - I loved this darkly comic thriller. More twisted beneath the surface than it may at first appear.
Blue Velvet (1986) - Excellent neo-noir. Not all movies that get called that really manage to carry off the vibe of original film noir. This does.
He's Out There (2018) - generic slasher. Not bad per se, just pointless.
Train to Busan (2016) - one of the best zombie movie's I've ever seen. 
Dead of Night (1945) - this old horror didn't do much for me.
Rim of the World (2019) - Predictable as hell. Finished it for the sake of finishing it. 
IO (2019) - Yawn. 
Widows (2018) - Great crime thriller. 

As of IO, I've reached a new milestone: 1500 total movies seen. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 12:14pm

Fritz Lang's final silent film and like Metropolis it's a sci-fi, this time dealing with space exploration. While there are some glaring scientific issues (such as there being oxygen on the moon!) this actually got a lot right in 1929. Not as essential viewing for the sci-fi fan as Metropolis, but worthwhile overall. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:51am

Brilliant neo-noir with great atmospheric music. 

It's possible that this is an artful masterpiece I just didn't get but my impression is that it's the biggest load of shite I've seen since that time our toilet got blocked up and blew back who knows how many weeks worth of crap into the bathtub. Dead Sorry for the TMI, but I really can't recommend this one. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:00pm

Very good sci-fi thriller. 

Excellent 40's noirish psychological thriller. 

For a film where what we see never leaves an emergency services call centre, this is a surprising masterpiece in tension. It's absolutely disturbing, nerve-wracking and a late game plot twist visibly knocks the protagonist for six, and the audience with him. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:42pm
This one somehow felt a Little unsatisfactory to me. It had its moments, but overall I´m not a huge fan. A liked both Unbreakable and Split better:

Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and James McAvoy in Glass (2019)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 257>
  Share Topic